AgapeDoc
AgapeDoc, Psychologist
Experience:  Dr. W. D. Nicholas will help you find solutions to life's challenging issues.
55589990

I have tried literally everything for recurrent depression.

I have tried literally everything for recurrent depression. Because I am so "highly functional" no one seems to recognize how bad I feel. Is the new Viibryd worth trying in someone who has had no help from SSRI's? (addendum: also tried lexapro in addition to the others listed)
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  AgapeDoc replied 3 years ago.

AgapeDoc :

Thanks for contacting Just Answer....

AgapeDoc :

Let's see if I can help here....

AgapeDoc :

I have read your post a couple of times and I think I can help. It is my intention to answer your question and exceed your expectations. If you are satisfied with my efforts will you click on the green accept button?

AgapeDoc :

OK... I see you are off line now. Let me go ahead and see if I can answer you question with what you have posted here...

AgapeDoc :

Based on what you have said I can certainly understand your frustration. I wouldn't be surprised if you have read the research (from the actual drug companies) that shows that medications don't work in a large number of cases. So you are not alone.

AgapeDoc :

I know your question is specifically whether you should try a new drug when all the other similar one's have failed you.... I must point out that this is a question and answer site and I never recommend whether or not to take medications on this site - it would be unethical for anyone to do this without having your medical and physical history and giving you an exam, etc. However, I would suggest that you stay opened to the supervision and counsel of your primary care or specialist doctor if s/he suggests you try it.

AgapeDoc :

Having said that, I believe your real question is, "Why don't people believe that I am depressed and how can I get help?"

AgapeDoc :

Well, I don't know about others, but I can say that I understand and believe you because I have dealt with many in your situation...

AgapeDoc :

Now, here has what has worked for many, many of those I have worked with...

AgapeDoc :

Hypnotherapy. I am not a hypnotherapist, but I have referred many of my clients to hypnotherapy and it has worked wonders - especially for those with mood disorders such as you have described here....

AgapeDoc :

The key is to find licensed therapist who is also a certified hypnotherapist :) You can find some in your area by doing an internet search I'm sure.

AgapeDoc :

I cannot overstate how effective this has been - especially for those that don't respond to medications. I hope you try this - I think you will find the relief you are seeking and be set free from the bonds of depression.

AgapeDoc :

I hope I have answered your question and even given you a little extra :)

AgapeDoc :

If you are satisfied with my efforts, please don't forget to click on the green accept button because I need to get credit for my work.

AgapeDoc :

God bless,

Customer: I know there are no magic answers as I am a physician myself. I also realize from reading the research that Viibryd's main selling point is it's claim not to cause sexual dysfunction. Otherwise it appears to be a "me too" drug. If you had a Pt who had tried literally everything (except ECT) and was unresponsive t SSRI's, would you recommend giving it a try or would you consider Viibryd a waste of time & money?
AgapeDoc : I understand your points. Let me make it clear that I am a psychologist and not licensed to prescribe.... but I would not rule this new medication out for one of my clients who seesme in addition to an MD. As I often point out, if it's not getting the desired effect, or the side effects are more problematic than desired, you can certainly gradually stop the regiment.
AgapeDoc : I am on my smartphone, an it looks like I just lost the response I submitted, but I wouldn't rule out trying something new. I know you must be feeling very frustrated. And you are looking at this from the medical model......I would not be opposed to trying this new med v if it doesn't work out -the at least you know you tried.
AgapeDoc, Psychologist
Experience: Dr. W. D. Nicholas will help you find solutions to life's challenging issues.