TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I experience this over whelming amount of anxiety if there

I experience this over whelming amount of anxiety if there is ever a chance of me going on a date or getting emotional involved with a female to the point where i can't function normally. I watched alot of pornography when i was younger and even a little today off and on. I wonder if that has anything to do with it because i am already on meds for anxiety?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

Can you tell me a bit more about your situation? Is your fear just with the opposite sex or do you have problems overall socially?

What kind of anxiety symptoms do you have?

What kind of treatment are you receiving for your anxiety?

Thank you,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My fear is just thinking of the opposite sex in a intimate role like a dating relationship. My anxiety symtoms are tension around the jaw and panic as well as not being able to be 100% towards my daily tasks. I'm taking clonopin, and busperione for anxiety.

Thank you for the additional information.

It sounds like it could be a couple of different things you are experiencing here. One could be a social phobia. Social phobias cause you to feel self critical and fearful of making a mistake in a social situation. So you tend to avoid being exposed to social situations and any thought of one makes you experience anxiety symptoms.

You could also have a phobia called Heterophobia which is a fear of the opposite sex or
Gynophobia which is a fear of women. Depending on your specific symptoms, you could have any of these disorders. The root of this fear is the possibility of rejection. But as with any phobia, the treatment of the phobia and symptoms is the primary target. Once you do not experience panic and/or know how to control it, you can overcome this feeling. You will be able to develop a relationship without having to worry about fear and panic.

To deal with any phobia, there are many things you can do to help yourself. One is therapy. Being on medication is great to help with your symptoms, but it only helps the symptoms. They do not help the underlying cause. Therapy can not only provide support, it can help deal with the cause and help you find relief. To find a therapist, talk to your doctor about a referral. Or search on line at

You can also use self help to address your fears. Here are some resources to help you:

The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook, Fourth Edition by Edmund J. Bourne

Dying of Embarrassment: Help for Social Anxiety and Phobia by Barbara G. Markway, C. Alec Pollard, Teresa Flynn and Cheryl N. Carmin

The Mindfulness and Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety: A Guide to Breaking Free from Anxiety, Phobias, and Worry Using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy by John P. Forsyth and Georg H. Eifert

You can find these books on or your local library may have them for you.

You can also try support groups on line. They may help you connect to others and find support. Here is a resource to help:

I hope this has helped you,