Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

Hello there! We are looking for a Pediatric Psychiatrist although

Hello there! We are looking for a Pediatric Psychiatrist although we understand that there are not many of that speciality? Would a Psychiatrist therefore be comfortable prescribing meds to an 11 yr old?

Our 11 yr old boy is experiencing Anxiety Attacks, Panic Attacks and overall high anxiety in between. It started 3 weeks ago before during and after a 4 day trip with the school ( outdoor education). He has had mild to moderate separation anxiety in the past so this is not too surprising. He wanted to try to go as he liked the hiking etc but could only last one night before I picked him up. His panic and anxiety attacks have continued but gotten a little better now that 2 weeks have passed. He find them very distressing and he has felt as if he were going to die.

There is a wait for Ped. Psych here in Ontario so should a Psychiatrist treat him in the meantime or should go to emergency for assistance during an attack (which of course would be over by the time we would be arriving at emerg.!) Can Family Doctor treat him? This is not our preference. The Pediatric Hospital is our choice for emerg though.

thank you for your advice! Anne
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Bill replied 5 years ago.
Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

I am sorry to hear about the problems your son in having.

In this type of situation it is best that he be seen by a Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist who are medical doctors with specific expertise in treating problems such as those your son is having.

The American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry has many member who are in Ontario. I am going to give you a link to their directory so that you can locate Doctors closest to you.

http://myaccount.aacap.org/iweb/BuyersGuide/ProfessionalSearch.aspx

From the above link, Simply enter ONTARIO in the
STATE/PROVINCE Location Box and click search. It will give you a list of practitioners in all areas of Ontario.

Family Doctors typically do not have the training and skill that is necessary to properly treat the problems your son is having.

Should you have difficulty with this or locating someone,send me your postal code and I will be happy to help.

Best, Bill

PLEASE CLICK GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON SO THAT I RECEIVE CREDIT FOR MY TIME
I AlSO APPRECIATE POSITIVE FEEDBACK
Have the best possible day!