Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

I want to stop zoloft. take a small dose, several months now.

I want to stop zoloft. take a small dose, several months now. how do you wean off of it, I know you can not stop all at once.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Kaushik :

Hi there,

Dr. Kaushik :

Welcome to Just answer !

Customer:

hello

Dr. Kaushik :

what is the current dose of zoloft that you are on at the moment and are you completely free from symptoms of depression / anxiety and since how long have you been symptom free ?

Dr. Kaushik :

I will get back to you once you reply to my query..

Customer:

I went for anxiety problems, panic attacks. I was on 25 mg a day, also on high blood pressure meds, that is under control. been about 8 months

Dr. Kaushik :

so are the anxiety and panic attacks well controlled since past 8 months..

Customer:

yes, have been quite well, esp. with my blood pressure much lowered

Dr. Kaushik :

ok.. and you are currently on 25 mg / day of zoloft .. is this right ?

Customer:

I should mention I also have lost a lot of weight, much needed , yes 25 mg a day

Dr. Kaushik :

ok..

Dr. Kaushik :

first of all 25 mg / day zoloft is a low dose ...which is good because withdrawing from it wil be easier and less taxing on you..

Dr. Kaushik :

are you taking a 25 mg tablet..

Customer:

yes

Dr. Kaushik :

ok..

Dr. Kaushik :

then start taking half tablet of 25 mg .. in the morning and half tablet in the evening ..

Dr. Kaushik :

and continue this for 1 week..

Customer:

ok

Dr. Kaushik :

you see you need to be patient with this kind of withdrawal so that there are no untoward side effects of zoloft withdrawal , called as ssri discontinuation syndrome..

Customer:

I understand

Dr. Kaushik :

so after 1 week.. stop taking the half tablet in the night ...

Customer:

ok

Dr. Kaushik :

so you will then be left with 12.5 mg dose , that you will be taking in the morning ..

Dr. Kaushik :

xontinue taking half tablet of 25 mg tablet for 2 weeks in total ...

Dr. Kaushik :

sorry that is continue

Customer:

ok

Dr. Kaushik :

after 2 weeks of taking this extremely low dose . you shall stop taking zoloft completely...

Customer:

ok, that seems simple enough

Dr. Kaushik :

In this way you will be off this drug in 3 weeks duration...

Customer:

ok

Dr. Kaushik :

without any side effects..

Customer:

great

Dr. Kaushik :

I hope this helps..

Customer:

thank you

Customer:

it will I wanted another opinion

Dr. Kaushik :

ok..

Customer:

bye

Dr. Kaushik :

I think this will work for you ..

Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience: MD Psychiatry