Doctor Kevin
Doctor Kevin, Ph.D.
Experience:  25 years in private practice
16903060

What do you do during the first, second, third, etc. group

Customer Question

What do you do during the first, second, third, etc. group therapy sessions in DBT?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Doctor Kevin replied 2 years ago.

Dr.Kappler :

Dialectical Behavior Therapy has four major goals that you will be learning in the first few sessions.

Usually, DBT includes a combination of group skills training, individual psychotherapy and phone coaching, although there are exceptions. Patients in DBT are asked to monitor their symptoms and use of learned skills daily, while their progress is tracked throughout therapy. There are four main types of skills that are covered in DBT skills training. The first is mindfulness meditation skills. These skills center on learning to observe, describe and participate in all experiences (including thoughts, sensations, emotions and things happening externally in the environment) without judging these experiences as "good" or "bad." These are considered "core" skills that are necessary in order to implement the other DBT skills successfully. The second is interpersonal effectiveness skills. The focus of this skill module is on learning to successfully assert your needs and to manage conflict in relationships. The third is distress tolerance skills. The distress tolerance skills module promotes learning ways to accept and tolerate distress without doing anything that will make the distress worse in the long run (e.g., engaging in self-harm). The last is emotional regulation skills. In this module, patients learn to identify and manage emotional reactions. I hope this is helpful and what you were looking for.

Dr.Kappler :

You have stepped out of the chat, but you can still work with me to get an answer to your question if you have more to talk about. Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from me. You will also receive an email when your question is updated. If you want to send a message to me, use the box below. If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above. Experts are paid only for each accepted answer they provide.

Customer :

Please walk me through the 1st session with the patients in a DBT group.

Customer :

Then please walk me through the 2nd, then the 3rd sessions, etc. with the patients - applying DBT principles.

Dr.Kappler :

You are asking for a mentor in this principle is that right?

Customer :

No, I just want to have an idea what you do especially in the initial sessions that is different form other therapies. Knowing the principles is one thing.

Dr.Kappler :

I may be limited in my ability to respond. I am not doing these groups but am retried. Request A person who is ding this very dynamic treatment.

Dr.Kappler :

I am sorry for the spelling mistakes this format has two formats. One offerers spelcheck.

Dr.Kappler :

My impression is that you have these context to work in and the group leader will keep you focused. I have been in many years of group therapy and the mediator is trying to keep thins on tract in terms of the four goals, which in my mind is very noble.

Customer :

Yes, it does make a difference talking about principles and actually doing the groups to be able to answer my question. Thanks so much. who can answer my question then?

Dr.Kappler :

I will opt out and let us see if there is someone who is actually doing this form of treatment. Don't accept me and wait for another expert. Be aware that in any group interaction someone who wants to get a lowdown may be called on the carpet for it, because I have had a personal experience in exactly that in a gestalt therapy group.