Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice
50444359

Is it possible that a boyfriend or ex boyfriend with a mental

Is it possible that a boyfriend or ex boyfriend with a mental disorder such as being bi-polar or something could cause a female to have ptsd?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.

Hi! You know, to give you the best answer, I think I should ask you a few questions first that will help define the problem and the situation.

PTSD is not caused by the other person's diagnosis. Rather, PTSD is caused by the other person's behavior toward her. Or behavior around her.

What was his behavior like that makes you concerned?

What about her makes you concerned she has PTSD? What is she exhibiting?

Is she getting any treatment right now? If so, what type? How is it going?

If not, when was the last treatment? What type of treatment was it? Was it helpful?

Any extra information that will help, feel free to share.

Dr. Mark

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He yells all the time even first thing in the morning, blackmails people, threatens people, has irrational behavior seems to think that everyone owes him something. Never wants to pay for anything. Spends his money as soon as he gets it, has a gambling problem. Won't listen to other people suggestions thinks he's knows everything. Cheats, lies about everything. Pretends to be this great person to people at work and with one or two of his only friends. Will never take responsibility for his behavior it's always someone else's fault. Lie's about having an STD. He's very moody, high maintenance, very forgetful, and very clingy or controlling.

Can dealing with someone exhibiting that type of behavior cause a female to have PTSD? She's getting help. Can't say much more without making it too personal.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.

Hi! I believe I can be of help with this issue.

I can imagine how awful this situation must be for her. I have to tell you that you are correct in "meaning" but you are incorrect in technical terms. What do I mean?

PTSD stands for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. The word Post refers to the traumatic stress AFTER the trauma has ended. In other words, once she leaves this man, she might have lingering effects of the trauma of being part of his world and the blaming and controlling and other experiences.The lingering effects would be called PTSD.

While she's still experiencing the trauma, this is not PTSD. It's present trauma. So treatment is different. Why?

With PTSD she will be treated for the symptoms of the EFECTS of the trauma of being with this man. While she's still with him, the treatment can really only be to help her resolve to leave. Otherwise, she's just defeating the treatment as soon as she leaves the therapist and goes back to the man, the source of the trauma.

So, if she's still with him, it's imperative for her to leave. Because all the help really can't help until she's out of the situation.

Okay, I wish you the very best!

Please remember to click the green accept button because: even though you have made a deposit, I do not get paid for my time unless you press ACCEPT. Feel free to continue the discussion as my goal is to get you the best answer possible. You can continue the discussion even after pressing ACCEPT. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue, just put "for Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, XXXXX XXXXX