MN Psychiatrist
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Experience:  Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.

One of my family members has schizoaffective disorder. She

One of my family members has schizoaffective disorder. She has been taking several anti-psychotic meds for over ten years and currently she is on Abilify which helped her for the last few years. However, she is now complaintning that it is not working even at low dosages and trying to go off her meds because she feels better without them. She is taking lithum in addition to Abilify. We are worried that she will relapse. Her doctor is not willing to try clozapine because of the serious side effects. Are there any new psychotic medications that her doctor can prescribe? Or are there any naturopathic treatments for this condition?
Hello, I am a psychiatrist.
I'm sorry to hear about the struggles she's been having.
Unfortunately, the closest thing to a natural remedy might be Omega-3 fish oil; there's some evidence that this can help depression, and ti may help with the low moods associated with schizoaffective disorder. However, it cannot be considered a stand-alone remedy by itself in any capacity. Really, it is more something that cannot hurt and might help, than a treatment all by itself.
Other medications in the class of Abilify include Geodon, Zyprexa, Risperdal, Latuda, Seroquel and Fanapt. If she hasn't been on any of these, they are worth discussing with her doctor. Risperdal is available in an injectable form that helps eliminate the noncompliance issues; patients usually receive injections every two weeks.
Does this make sense?