MN Psychiatrist
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Experience:  Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.
45841547

hi, resently I switched from Dexadrine to Adderall medicine.

Customer Question

hi, resently I switched from Dexadrine to Adderall medicine. The problem is that I don't feel any benefit from the medicine, that I used to get from Dexadrine... I even think the medicine is fake, a scam or a placebo... no good effects and no side effects. How likely is that I don't respond to Adderall at all?
The dosage for Dexadrine was 15mg I took the same amount of Adderall.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  MN Psychiatrist replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am a psychiatrist.
The problem may well be the dosage. You may need more of the Adderall to get the same general level of benefit from it as you got from the Dexedrine. Why did you switch medications?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dexadrine was working fine with my ADD, but it only work for about 2 and 1/2 hours, and I was taking 3 pill twice per day.
I wanted something that lasted longer and didn't require to swallow so many pills. My doctor said that because my type of benefit (veteran) I had to go through steps in order to reach XR Adderall which is what he recommended.
So he started me up at 5mg Adderall. I used to be on Ritalin 40mg a day, then on Dexadrine 15mg perday and I always felt a benefit from both medicines. When I got switch to Adderall 5mg I was expecting at least some benefit but nothing happen, I know I probably shouldn't but I did took 20mg in a period of 3 hours and I didn't felt a thing. Couldn't concentrate on my riding for more than 15 mins...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
are you there?
Usually people need more Dexedrine than the equivalent amount of Adderall to get the same results, however, going from 15mg of Dexedrine to 5mg of Adderall isn't comparable. Normally, going from 15mg of Dexedrine to 10mg of Adderall would be more of an even comparison. That's what I'd say to try if you hadn't already told me that even 20mg of Adderall wasn't helping you. Since 20mg of Adderall isn't helping, then yes, it is very possible that Adderall just won't work very well for you at any dose. Sometimes this happens.
Does this make sense?
By the way, than you for your military service.
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Experience: Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thx, I'll guess I'll have to schedule an appointment to change back...
I'm glad to have been of help. Take care.