Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's

Can Trilephal & Dylantin cause Paranoid in a person

Can a person taking medications such as Trilephal (or generic version) and Dylantin (Phenytoin) to control epileptic seizures develop a PARANOID condition? My wife, who suffers from epileptic seizures, daily beliefs that someone is coming into our home and dirties our house, her clothes, her car, and our outside yard. I keep telling her it is only up in her head because I am always at home and I never see anyone come into our house or yard to do such things. She has gotten to a point to where she doesn't even want to be close to people, even her own family members because she distrusts them.

What can I do to help my wife alleviate or eliminate this conditions?

Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Bill :

I am sorry to hear about this issue: A recent study revealed that in a very small number of cases, Trileptal was reported to provoke paranoia in patients who had been taking the medication for varying periods of time:

Bill :

This is a study of Paranoia among people who take Trileptal (oxcarbazepine). The study is created by eHealthMe based on 47 reports from FDA and user community.

On Nov, 9, 2011: 8,417 people reported to have side effects when taking Trileptal. Among them, 47 people (0.56%) have Paranoia.

Trend of Paranoia in Trileptal reports
Full Size Image

Time on Trileptal when people have Paranoia * :

< 1 month1 - 6 months6 - 12 months1 - 2 years2 - 5 years5 - 10 years10+ years

Gender of people who have Paranoia when taking Trileptal * :

Age of people who have Paranoia when taking Trileptal * :

Severity of Paranoia when taking Trileptal * :

leastmoderateseveremost severe

Top conditions involved for these people * :

1. Bipolar disorder

2. Sleep disorder

3. Headache

4. Anxiety

5. Convulsion

Top co-used drugs for these people * :

1. Seroquel

2. Neurontin

3. Klonopin

4. Prozac

5. Lithobid

* Approximation only. Some reports may hav

Bill :

last sentence above says Some reports may have incomplete information.

Bill :

The fact that the incidence is less than 1% suggests that something else may be going on here.

Bill :

Paranoia can be the result of a variety of other age related mental health or neurological issues.

Bill :

I would call your Neurologist as soon as possible to address this issue so that the appropriate interventions can transpire.

Bill :

These medications are commonly prescribed together and there are no significant interactions that would rise to this level of behavioral change.

Bill :

Should you have additional questions for me, please feel free to ask.

Bill :

Otherwise, I wish you the best,

Bill :

Bill :

Have the best possible day!