Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

verbally aggressive behavior with no rational onset that lasts

Customer Question

verbally aggressive behavior with no rational onset that lasts for days directed at mulitple people
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  MN Psychiatrist replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am a psychiatrist.
Is there a specific question you have, for which you are seeking an answer? I'd be happy to help you out, but I'm not exactly sure what you wanted to know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What could be the cause of sudden aggressive verbally abusive behavior for no rational reason that would last for days on end..with the ability to be pleasant when others (outside group being targeted) are present
Thanks for the clarification.
In general, it is common for people with depression or anger issues to display such behaviors towards close friends/family, but then in other settings, act very appropriately. An example might be someone who is struggling with their own issues or mood problems and lashes out at their family for little apparent reason, but who "keeps it together" at work. This is fairly common, and it makes sense if you think about it from the angle that most people literally cannot afford to blow up at their boss (because they need their job), but yet, if they have emotional struggles (depression, inner conflicts, whatever), these will come out somehow - and unfortunately they often come out as negative treatment of the people closest to that person.
If you tell me more about the person involved and his/her overall situation, I could comment more specifically on what I think is going on with him/her.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
woman, 74, has had one (that I know of) other explosion like this. Paranoid accusations, verbally cruel.
Was the other episode recently, or further in the past (years ago)?