Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

I cannot make myself do homework, study, or even go to class.

Customer Question

I cannot make myself do homework, study, or even go to class. I am a junior in college, and, while I have had troubles in this area before, I have never had the difficulty that I face this semester. I am failing every class because I have not even attempted the work. There is so much pressure from my parents to do well in school, but I do not feel like I am capable of it at the moment. Last semester I failed half of my classes, but I was at least making progress in my first two years of school. I do not believe it is a learning disorder as I never have trouble learning even very challenging material when I set my mind to do it. I am rather distractable, however. I almost always find myself playing games or researching other topics on the internet when I am avoiding homework or class. My mom says that I have an auditory learning disorder from when I was younger, but I am not sure that this is the case. What is wrong with me?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 2 years ago.

Hi there,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, i do not think that you have a learning disorder , as until now you have been doing well in your studies , which could not have been possible if you had learning disorder as it would have effected your studies much earlier..

So, to me it seems like you are suffering from situational anxiety disorder , where your present situation of being in junior college with a lot of parental and peer pressure on you to perform well in academics have made you extremely anxious and distractable and scared of consequences of poor performance , which together have started to effect your academic results .. as you have noticed in your falling grades...

So, the solution to this lies in meeting with a clinical psychologist along with your parents and starting together on family therapy , this type of therapy or counseling technique will suit your situation the most , since it will not only calm you and make you feel relaxed so as to let you concentrate more on studies and become less distractable and stop escaping work commitments , but also this therapy will help your parents to understand your situation better and offer moral support to you , rather than scaring you and making you insecure about the consequences of not performing well..

You see in the end i would like to tell you that mild anxiety is good at times for better performance as it enhances your concentration and enables you to offer more at the time of immense need , but when this anxiety becomes excessive or severe due to pressure and expectations ,then this leads to a dip in one's performance as the person feels scared , anxious and distractable and tries to go for brief escapes like in the form of wasting important time on video games , fun and frolic , trivial new found interests ...

So, i would suggest that you talk to your parents about getting yourselves started on family therapy from a clinical psychologist , it is a short duration therapy , and can be done once a week at your convenience , but it will invariably make a difference in your present situation and life and help you overcome this phase and dispatch away all your present woes related to studies..

I hope this helps..

Wish you all the best ...

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service..

Regards...