Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist

The only time I have ever actually relaxed and not had a thousand thouhts running through

The only time I have ever actually relaxed and not had a thousand thouhts running through my head is when I sleep. So I sleep all the time, people think I'm being lazy but they have no idea how hard it is to never stop thinking ! Is this a sign of add , I'm 24 ?
Day to day things are impossible as in eating, relaxing, shopping as im always thinking about time and whats on tomorrow or next week and I don't remember anything unless it's presented in number format, in which case I can remember anything.
Thank you for writing in JustAnswer.
I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
Let me ask you a few questions first.
Do you have attention difficulty?
When did this start?
Please let me know by clicking on “Reply” and I will then craft my response.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Warm Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yeh I can't concentrate unless it's something that completely uses my brain, in which case I do that and only that until it's done.I won't stop for anything, food, water, phone, I'll just keep doing it.

If something doesn't use my brain then it's borderline torture having to do it.

Started when I was around 17 or 18 and gets worse every year....

If I'm studying or doing problem solving time flies. Other than that everything is put on the back burner and I seem to spend all my time thinking and organizing things that are weeks or months away but never actually doing what needs to be done now
Hi there,
Thank you for your reply.
I am sorry to hear about your situation.
It sounds like you may have ADD as you have attention difficulty and trouble relaxing.
If you have ADD or ADHD, these anti-depressants may not work for your condition. Also, people with ADD/ADHD may also have symptoms of depression and anxiety.
I would advise you to take a ADD/ADHD screening test in a hospital or clinic.

If you have ADD/ADHD, a combination of medication (like Ritalin and Adderal) and Psychotherapy are most effective for ADD/ADHD. If you are open to counseling, I advise you to see a psychotherapist who specializes in Cognitive-Behavior therapy (CBT) and ADD/ADHD. If you are resistant treatment for ADHD, you may need at least a personal coach (life coaching) to help you manage disorganization, attention, frustration tolerance etc.. Are you open to counseling of that kind (Life coaching)?
Additionally, I would advise you to try stress reduction techniques such as yoga, massage therapy, acupuncture, nutritional therapy, and Biofeedback to reduce daily stress and promote relaxation in your body and mind.
There are good books to read for you: The books “The Disorganized Mind: Coaching Your ADHD Brain to Take Control of Your Time, Tasks, and Talents by Ratey” and “10 Simple Solutions to Adult ADD: How to Overcome Chronic Distraction & Accomplish Your Goals by Sarkis” may be helpful.
Here are some tips for you to improve organization. 1. External structure. Develop structure as much as possible. Clear away all distractions from your task area. 2. Make frequent use of: lists, color-coding, reminders, notes to self, rituals, and files 1. Use color coding. Color-coding deserves emphasis.Make things memorable with color: files, memoranda, texts, schedules, etc. 3. Make deadlines. 4. Break down large tasks into small ones. Attach deadlines to the small parts. Often a large task will feel overwhelming to him. The mere thought of trying to perform the task makes you turn away. On the other hand, if the large task is broken down into small parts, each component may feel quite manageable. 5. Prioritize. Avoid procrastination. When things get busy, you may lose perspective. Take a deep breath. Put first things first. Procrastination is one of the hallmarks of ADD/ADHD. You have to really discipline yourself to watch out for it and avoid it. 6. Know that it is O.K. to do two things at once: carry on a conversation and write down things in post-its, or take a shower and do his thinking, or jog and plan a business meeting. 7. Leave time between engagements to gather your thoughts. 8. Keep a notepad in your car, by your bed, and in your pocketbook or jacket. You never know when you may want to remember something else.
I hope you get help and support.

Please let me know if I have overlooked any or you have more questions. Warm regards,
P.S. Please remember to click the green ACCEPT button. You do not get charged twice; I will continue to answer your question whenever I am back online; my goal is to get you the best answers possible. If I can be of further help with any issue, just put "for Dr. Olsen" in the front of your new question. All the best, XXXXX XXXXX