Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

my 17 year old son shows agressive behaviour, hits the walls

Customer Question

my 17 year old son shows agressive behaviour, hits the walls and furniture and calls us, parents, horrible names. I asked him to provide urin for drug test. He started yelling and cannot stop. Is this the sign of mental problem?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 2 years ago.

Hi! You know, to give you the best answer, I think I should ask you a few questions first that will help define the problem and the situation.

It's certainly a sign of a mental disorder. HOWEVER, I don't yet know if he's doing this on purpose or if he is being driven by a disorder to behave that way. For example, he could be hiding his drug use by being aggressive to get you to back down.

Either way, this type of behavior doesn't just come out of the blue. What's the history here?

What has he been like up to this point?

Has he had any mental health issues?

Is he getting any treatment right now? If so, what type? How is it going?

If not, when was the last treatment? What type of treatment was it? Was it helpful?

Any extra information that will help, feel free to share.

Dr. Mark

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My son uses marijuana. He has been unsing it for 3-4 years. At least I discovered this 2 years ago. We tried counselling but it did not work. He stated that they just told him that this is a gateway drug for hard drugs but nobody explained him why pot is bad.So, he refused to continue with the counselling.

We showed him to the psychiatrist, but it was just one visit and he suggested psychotherapy.

No treatment was used. We just asked different people (friends, relatives) to talk to him.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sometimes, when he is tested negative, his is calm and respectfull. He gets better grades at school.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for writing in JustAnswer. I will take over this question.
I'm sorry to hear about your son's situation.
He may have depression or something else.
Let me ask you a question first.
What makes him angry in general ?
Please let me know by clicking on “Reply” and I will then craft my response.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Warm Regards,