MN Psychiatrist
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Experience:  Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.

Hello, I am on a whole slue of medications. I have Fibro,

Customer Question

I am on a whole slue of medications. I have Fibro, PCOS, Clinical Depression and Anxiety. I had the Slim Band placed in April of 2010. I gained about 70 lbs over the last 5 years from trying different medications to relieve some of my symptoms as well I am sure my lack of exercise and overwhelming amounts of stress did not help. So I recently went off Zoloft and on to Pristiq due to the fact that Zoloft causes weight gain and I need to cut out what I can to help me in anyway possible to loose weight. I have had my thyroid checked and that seems fine with my blood work results and yet I still do not loose any weight. I am currently on Clonazepam, Gabapentin, Imovane, Pristiq, 500 mg Metformin, water pills, fentinal patch 150 mg every three days, and statex for break through pain. I do not have much of an appetite. So I do not eat much at all. I eat yogurt and fruit and enjoy veggies. But still do not exercise. Not because I do not want to but because of the second reason I am talking with you today. I have anxiety that leaves me feeling at a loss for answers in everything I do. When I have to much to do the next day or a few days down the road it keeps me up all night and stressed for days. It has gotten worse over the last few years because I have not been working. My husband took very ill for the third or 4th time in 2005. I had just become a Director in Mary Kay. My husband was in the hospital for 11 months and had 9 operations on his bowels. I had to step down from my business to care for him and be home for my two daughters who were 14 and 11. We lost our home as I was only making commission and since then my health has gotten worse and worse. What i am asking is, 1. Does and of the medication I am taking cause problems with weight gain, or trouble loosing weight? I was told by another doctor that I should be on more than 500 mg of Metformin for my PCOS, but my family doctor says it causes weight gain. This does not make sense to me since I have two people I know that have lost considerable weight from being on it. One of them was put on it for the same reason I am which is PCOS. Does this seem right that he only wants me on 500 mg and that it causes weight gain? 2. My depression is getting worse along with my anxiety. I can't even pick up a book because I just do not care. I sleep late because If I get up it is just more time to be alone or think about how I have failed and weight loss, working, money, my children, my life and me in general. Here is Canada the Health Care System for people with Mental illness is a very sad situation. They treat you like a criminal and only help those who have tried to commit suicide. There are no beds for you otherwise and you wishes that you were dead if your in the hospital because they make you feel so bad for being in there taking up space or they load you up with meds so you don't know who you are or care to know. What should I do, I feel hopeless but not suicidal. Lastly, as far as my anxiety your not supposed to take Clonazepam when you take Pristiq. I found this out on my own as my doctor did not change it to anything else. So if I am not supposed to take these then what can I take? I do not have a social life anymore. My 19 year old lives at home but she is a whole other story and does not talk to me much. She is on the computer talking to her boyfriend from England everyday and night. My husband is back to climbing the corporate ladder and in his wake I have given up 10 different jobs to move with him to follow his dream and one position with Mary Kay because of the demands of caring for him. He travels all over the world and is home if at all on weekends. We have been married 20 years and he is an alcoholic and addicted to drugs. He only does this after work hours so they do not know so far. But what my daughters and I have been through will never be erased. The damage is done now and continues. So i know you cannot fix my family but maybe you can help with some advice to the questions I noted above. I want to thank you in advance for you time and for reading such a long note.

Truly Yours,

Lorraine
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  psychlady replied 2 years ago.

It sounds like you have sacrificed a lot to be the co addict. This happens a lot when people are addicted. The addict involves the family in the charade and they remain stuck in their own cycle. You would benefit immensely from AlAnon even if he does not go to meetings himself. You would get the support you need to draw boundaries in your life. You can't fix anyone else so start with these groups so that you have some support and guidance. It is up to you how to decrease your ability to tolerate his addiction. If you become complacent nothing will change. Often when people give up a lot they get resentful and this can lead to complacency. Join forces with your daughter and get control of your household. It is up to you to tell her to get off the computer and join your fight. She is at that age where it is all about her. Start today by getting her to address the addiction in your household. If he doesn't want to get clean then you have some important decisions to make. Lay out some boundaries and see where to start by considering the resistance you get from him. Help him find treatment but don't do it for him.

Please press accept; this is the only way I am compensated

psychlady, Therapist
Experience: Psychotherapist specializing in the treatment of a variety of mental health issues.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can you please answer my question about my medications. Taking clonazepam with Pristiq. I need some type of anxiety medication and they say that this one cannot be taken with the Pristiq drug.

Thank you,

Lorraine
Expert:  MN Psychiatrist replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am a psychiatrist.
To answer your question about taking clonazepam and pristiq at the same time, it is possible that taking the two of them together could result in sedation. However, there is in no way any absolute rule that says that these medications cannot be used together, in the same patient, at the same time. What have you been told to the contrary?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I thought that I had read that you cannot take clonazepam when you are taking Pristiq. But if that is okay then to take it as I was prescribed. Thank you.

Lorraine
If you have any concerns, it won't hurt to ask your doctor about it, but if it is okay for you as a person to take either Pristiq or clonazepam, then it is safe for you to take both medications at the same time. Hopefully this will help you get some relief.
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Experience: Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.