Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

Hi iwas postnatally diagnosed as bipolar and was treated by

Hi iwas postnatally diagnosed as bipolar and was treated by one of the best doctors in Australia DrMarie Paul Austin.In the begining i was taking Resperidone,Effexore and Lithium and slowly slowly she stopped all my medicine and now Im taking onlu Lithium 900mg.She told me to continue for another year and then stop.Unfortunately i moved from sydney to Melbourne and have to find another Psychiatrist and Im not feeling comfortable to see a new Psychiatrist and explain him everything what i have gone through is holding me back.Im doing really well with my life.My son is 19months now.I complete my treatment by end of July 2012.Is it ok for me to get my prescription from my GP?It is more expensive to go to a Psychiatrist and i really don't want to go through everything again?pls help me.

Regards
Saritha
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Kaushik :

Hi there,

Dr. Kaushik :

Welcome to Just answer !

Dr. Kaushik :

kindly please tell me since how long have you been completely free of your bipolar symptoms and for how long a duration have you taken the medicines so far...

Dr. Kaushik :

This is important to assess which phase of treatment you are in ...

Dr. Kaushik :

i will get back to you with an appropriate reply as soon as you reply to my query ...

Dr. Kaushik :

Regards...

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dr.Kaushik,I was admitted to the hospital in May and diagnosed in June and since then i was taking all the above medications.Stopped all other medications in September 2011.Iwill be taking Lithium until end of July.I'm feeling good for the past one year.

I think if you have been symptom free since past 6 months , then i do not think there is any problem in getting the prescription of lithium from a physician / gp , but you need to get your serum lithium levels checked every 3-4 months till the time you stop taking lithium , this is because lithium is notorious to cause toxicity , so by carrying out serum lithium tests, one will know if the lithium levels in your body are not above the normal levels that is 0.8 - 1.2 mmol / dl.. ( this is the normal serum levels of lithium that is expected)

So, to summarize you may get your self prescribed from your GP , but make sure that you get the necessary serum level tests done as mentioned above , and if possible , do take some time out to visit your previous psychiatrist atleast once to see how you are doing on lithium.. and also if there is some new development in your symptoms , then also you have to seek help from your previous treating psychiatrist , otherwise , i think since you have been maintaining well on lithium , you shall continue on it and shall get it prescribed from your gp.

I hope this helps..

Wish you all the best..

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service..

Regards..

Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience: MD Psychiatry