Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

My husband of 21 years packed up on 10-22-11 in front of our

Customer Question

My husband of 21 years packed up on 10-22-11 in front of our 2 boys while I was at work and moved in with his mom. After being gone 3 weeks on 11-13-11 he calls over the phone and says I have made a decision I want a divorce. This is unbelieveable he never sat down and said here is what I am going to do financially nothing. In fact he won't even take our calls. He had been having an affair and says he is unhappy and is in love with this other woman. I have accepted the fact that he does not want me but what about the boys they are 10 and 15. No phone calls to them not even on Thanksgiving! 21 years and all I get is a phone call saying I want a divorce. I just can't take it. I am about to give up. Who just walks away and not even sit down and have a conversation after 21 years!! Is the other woman telling him don't call? He has left the church that we were faithful members for 10 years I just do not understand why I have to be left financially ruined because of his actions. Please advise.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 2 years ago.

Hi! You know, to give you the best answer, I think I should ask you a few questions first that will help define the problem and the situation.

Your questions are difficult: the first question only he or she can answer. There is no way for me as a psychologist to tell what their relationship is like.

Your second question may require an attorney to advise you. Why would you be ruined? Are you not going to have child support and alimony as part of the divorce?

Do you have good support from your congregation?

What is the relationship with his mother like?

Has he ever had any mental health issues? Has he had any treatment? When? What type? How did it go?

Any extra information that will help, feel free to share.

I see you are offline at this time and I may be logged off for the night before you reply, but go ahead and reply to these questions and I’ll answer as soon as I log on tomorrow. Okay?

Dr. Mark

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is your reply for $22 seriously.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure what you are getting at:

I've asked you questions to clarify what your situation is and to give you a better answer. Is that not worthwhile to do?

I would certainly think that you would want me as a psychologist to make sure I understand your individual situation as best as possible. So, I encourage you to reply with the information so I can help you the best I can, okay?

Dr. Mark