psychlady
psychlady, Therapist
Experience:  Psychotherapist specializing in the treatment of a variety of mental health issues.
52358615

When I was 19, I became pregnant and had a baby boy. I suffered

When I was 19, I became pregnant and had a baby boy. I suffered from severe post partum depression, ultimately, giving the child to my parents to raise. I am now 26, and have been in a monogamous relationship for nearly 4 years, and about a week ago, found out that I am pregnant again. I am not sure exactly how I let this happen, but it did. I am excited, as terrible as it may sound, for a second chance, but I think my parents are going to be so disappointed. I don't know how to tell them, and the added stress this is adding to my life certainly cannot be healthy. My boyfriend told me he would tell my parents if I cannot bring myself to do it, but I just don't know. I feel like a child in this situation, and quite frankly rather silly. What is the best way to go about this?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  psychlady replied 5 years ago.

You have nothing to apologize for. I can understand why you would want a second chance. You should feel that way and it will help you going through this pregnancy. YOu have a strong support and a positive attitude. Now it is time to let your parents know by just telling them. Don't come with apologies. Just tell them that it was a surprise and you were not planning on this, but now that it has happened you hope they will support you and help you in any way possible. Be sure to tell them that you are raising this child and hope to bring your positive attitude to the birth of the child. Ask for emotional support but are equipped to stand on your own. Ask for their guidance but that's it. They will eventually accept this as they have another grandchild. When you start apologizing for this it makes you look guilty. So be direct and honest. Tell them together with your boyfriend.

Please press accept