Penny Rayas, MFT
Penny Rayas, MFT, Therapist
Experience:  I have 20 years experience in the mental health field
59700337

Hi, I am 12 weeks post partum and still suffering from some

Customer Question

Hi, I am 12 weeks post partum and still suffering from some ppd and anxiety. I have tried Paxil and I felt like a zombie! Are there any proven natural remedies to help better things? I want to be me again!!!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Penny Rayas, MFT replied 5 years ago.

Mild depression can be controlled by St John's wort.

St. John's wort is a wild yellow flower considered to be a weed throughout most of the United States. It has been used for medical purposes in other parts of the world for thousands of years. Today, St. John's wort is continually being studied to try to validate its alleged mood-improving benefits.

More than 30 clinical studies have been conducted over the past 22 years to evaluate the effectiveness of St. John's wort. While the true benefits of St. John's wort are still being explored, if you do choose to use it, be sure to learn all you can and check with your doctor before taking it.

Is there scientific evidence that supports the use of St. John's wort for depression?

There is some scientific evidence that St. John's wort is helpful in treating mild to moderate depression. However, two large studies, one sponsored by the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM), showed that the herb was no more effective than placebo in treating major depression of moderate severity. NCCAM is currently studying the use of St. John's wort in a wider spectrum of mood disorders, including minor depression.

Both the leaves and the flowers of St. John's wort are harvested, dried, and put into liquid or pill form. The dried leaves may also be used as a tea.

Typically, 2 to 4 grams of powdered St. John's wort is taken three times a day for several weeks. It may also be taken twice a day as a tea made with 1 to 2 teaspoons of the dried herb.

Preparations in the U.S. have varied amounts of active ingredient in them. So be careful to note how much you're getting in your tablets.

I would also incourage you to have a support system of new mothers. Being a new mother is a difficult task that takes most of your energy. Most new mothers tell me that they loss a sense of who they are because not all their energy goes to being a mother. Do things that you liked to do before you had the baby. Give yourself one evening a week to be with friends, your partner or relatives. Do not be affraid to ask for help from relatives and friends. You will need to work out and take naps when you can.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. Does ppd usually go away?