Penny Rayas, MFT
Penny Rayas, MFT, Therapist
Experience:  I have 20 years experience in the mental health field

My child has been very different the past few weeks. He has

Customer Question

My child has been very different the past few weeks. He has had issues with saying I love you, answering simple yes or no questions -- he will say he doesn't want to answer or I don't know and he has been angry about things and tried breaking things, etc. I've tried to talk to him to see what could possibly be making him change, but I haven't had any luck with finding out anything. Could this be a phase? Or does this sound too serious for me to just dismiss as a phase?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Bonnie replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for consulting JA,

Has he had a recent strep throat infection?
Is he also becoming obsessive or compulsive about things?
Can't get mind off thoughts or behaviors?
How old is he?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He has not had strep throat, but he did have a bad ear infection and was on a strong antibiotic for about 10 days.

He will tell me something and then it's like he is so worried that he hasn't told me the truth that he will come back several times to correct it and most of the time he will just end it with something like...just take that back or let's just change that to I don't know.

He is 7.

Thanks for the additional information.

Whenever there is a sudden change in behavior, we wonder about a condition called PANDAS. The child's doctor will probably understand this concern. There is no treatment but it gives an explanation for the behavior and informs that the behavior will resolve spontaneously in a few weeks. However, if there is another infection it may occur again. Here is some information..

If it is not this, it sounds like a worry triggered by something he heard recently. What comes to mind right away is something like ...learning about the concept of sin or hell...or consequences of rules at school. He may have seen somebody disciplined for lying and is not quite sure what the rules are. So, it is probably a phase but would be handled best if the trigger could be discovered.

Hope this helps....
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Penny Rayas, MFT replied 4 years ago.
Hello there and thanks for asking JA. I have a few questions for you. Did something changed in your family in the last 6 months to a year such as someone leaving for college, someone being born, someone died? Did he lost a close pet? Did he changed schools, babysitter? How is his behavior with his father? I would also like to know if you son is sleeping and eating well and if there is a family history of depression in the family. Also let me know if this or any other behavior is happening in his school.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No changes, no pets, same school

I work from home so he doesn't have a babysitter. The only time he stays with someone is when I have a work function or have to leave town and then he stays with family.

He has a great relationship with his dad. He works out of town and we only get to see him on the weekends, but they talk everyday and spend a lot of time together when he is home

I haven't noticed any changes in his eating or sleeping, other than he has wet the bed 2 times in the past week. He hasn't wet the bed in years!

No depression that I am aware of.

His only complaints with school is that he gets tattled on a lot, but he says that he doesn't get in trouble for it. I've spoken to her about that issue and she says there are a few who tattle constantly on everybody and if it continues she will have to address it. I asked her about his behavior at school and she says he just talks a lot and that's it.

He is 7 years old.

Hello there and thanks for letting me know. I wonder if your son is very upset with the children who are tattled on him. I also wonder if someone has scared him at school. Sometimes weting the bed at time can be a symptom of anxiety. Maybe the teacher is not really aware of what is happening. Is hard to keep track of 7 year old in the play ground. Children can be mean and sometimes school officials do not notice. I think the talk about how much you love him and how he can tell you anything and you will always accept him is a good one. Also with children going to school I always ask parents to talk about private parts and now nobody is supposed to touch you sertain places. Maybe I am a bit paranoid, or worked in the the school system for too long but nobody can protect our kids from preditors at school 100% of the time. Well informed kids will tell an adult is something is out of the norm. Children tell me that others bully them in the bathroom. I would ask your son talk to him about bullies and their affects on others and what to do if someone bullies him. I may be way off here but bulling happens in good school and to children with very involved parents. Often teachers are not aware of that.

I would also suggest that your son has a physical because there is bactiria that can cause a child to want to go to the bathroom very often and wet the bed. You want to make sure is not physical and then maybe have your son to see child therapist.

Penny Rayas, MFT, Therapist
Experience: I have 20 years experience in the mental health field