Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
46062601

I am addicted to shemale porn. I have had sex with nearly

I am addicted to shemale porn. I have had sex with nearly 20 shemales but I consider myself straight. I would never go out with a shemale. The longest I have gone without looking at shemale porn in the last 8 years is 5.5 months and it was because my best friend who used to love me found out and she said and honestly does love me less now. I have gone a month recently since I relapsed but I just relapsed again.  Whenever I get sad I look at shemale porn. When I masterbate without porn I think about shemales. When I have sex with girls at least half the time I think about shemales. I am going to look at shemale porn right now before you answer me. Where am I?  What do I do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for writing in here.
I am sorry to hear you.
It sounds like you have the porn addiction problem.
You are aware of this problem; you can change it.

Sex, food, internet pornography, and spending can all become addictive and, because of their unavoidable presence in one's life, abstinence is not always a solution.

Changing one's thinking and behavioral processes from addictive back to controllable and health is not easy, but often with help, can be accomplished. You will need to learn to control the addictive, compulsive impulses and to retrain your thinking about sexuality.

Many adults with your problems may have dysfunctional beliefs like: "I am unlovable the way I am" "It is not possible to have my needs met with another person" "Sex is the most important need in my life" etc.. You may need to work on your maladaptive beliefs with a psychologist specializing in porn addiction or addiction.

Cognitive-behavior therapy (CBT) can be helpful for you in changing your own maladaptive thought patterns that may continue to feed the porn addiction.

You also may purchase blocking and filtering programs that can be purchased for installation on your computer.
Twelve-step support groups such as Sex Addict Anonymous (SA) may be helpful for some people.

The book "In The Shadows of The Net: Breaking Free from Compulsive Online Sexual Behavior by Patrick Carnes Ph.D. , David L. Delmonico Ph.D., XXXXX XXXXX M.A., Joseph M. Moriarity " may be helpful for you to work on your problems.

I would advise you to work with a psychologist/psychotherapist specializing in addiction and CBT.

You may call your health insurance company and get a list of provider in your area.
Or you can search a licensed psychologist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to the advanced search page (http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/index.php?t=custom) and enter your zip code and click an optional specialty as addiction. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Cognitive-behavior therapy. You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that you want to work with – Male or female? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you can see it as an informational meeting. You can ask any question. You can also negotiate psychotherapy fee and number of session.

I hope you overcome the porn addiction with help and support from a psychotherapist.

Please let me know if I have overlooked any or you have more questions. Warm regards,