Mark Manley
Mark Manley, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. Over 15 years exp. Married 30 years and happy.
56283723

Last year my husband & I saw a counselor and that was a waste

Last year my husband & I saw a counselor and that was a waste of time bc my husband thought it was about telling me repeatedly that he loved me and issues that needed to be addressed were not b/c the counselor was touched by my husband's vows of love, irregardless of what his actions showed. I have seen a psychiatrist since 1998 who has never met my husband but has always told me to leave him. Divorce is pending and I have put it on hold so that my husband can see a psychiaTRIST. My husband calls names, yells, screams when he does not get his way. My husband LIES! When caught in a lie he tells another lie to cover that one. My husband has 2 older children 1 that has no contact with him, 1 that comes around to be taken out to dinner, and one 11 yr old that has no choice. I am wife #4, and my husband takes no responsibility for any of his failed marriages. They were all whores or religious hipocrites for leaving him. Can a psychiaTRIST help my husband, or should I just move on with my divorce? I am still seeing my psychiatrist and yesterday my husband said that I needed to sign something giving my dr. permission to tell him everything that the dr. says about me! That's not gonna happen, as you know. But, now if my dr. said anything negative about my husband's request (and he would) my husband would say...I did NOT ask you to do that, I said that I thought it would be helpful IF your dr would do that. Anytime there are negative reactions to anything my husband has said or done...he will tell me that I must be crazy b/c he never said it quite that way. As for why I am writing...can a psychiaTRIST help my husband or do I move on?
I agree strongly with your psychiatrist. What you are describing is a person with Narcissistic Personality disorder. Likelihood of significant change on his part is very, very remote.

If it helps you can read up on this disorder. Search on-line under Narcissistic Personality disorder.

Sorry for the bad news.

Sincerely,
Mark Manley