Penny Rayas, MFT
Penny Rayas, MFT, Therapist
Experience:  I have 20 years experience in the mental health field

My 24 year old son began seeing a psychiatrist for addiction

My 24 year old son began seeing a psychiatrist for addiction to pain killers in June. The doctor started him out on SUBOXONE 8 MG-2 MG SL FILM -(27 for 6 days) He has been down to SUBOXONE 8 MG-2 MG SL FILM (14/7 days for a few months or so). Can you explain to me how long is "normal" for one to continue with this, or is it just up to the time the patient is ready. Will the dosage be tapered more or will he just need to go cold turkey from here. His father and I are wondering if he needs to go to rehab to kick this...we just want to do what it right. I also want to state that he is also on adderol and his regular physician cut this dosage in half (as a high school teacher with experience in observing ADHD and ADD , I have never noticed any signs of ADHD in my son ...so????)
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Penny Rayas, MFT replied 2 years ago.

SUBOXONE is a great drug to treat addiction. It will take about 6 months all together to treat someone with the drug to detox someone slowly so they will not relapse. Suboxone also has an opiate blocker and prevents people from using drugs while they take it. I have worked with clients treated with Suboxone and the results have been very good. As for ADD there two types of ADD and one of them is not very noticeable. ADD the over focused type where children are overly focused on something and ignore everything around them. People with this type of ADD tend to get locked into rigid behavior patterns and have trouble shifting their attention from thought to thought. This brain pattern shows increased blood flow in the top middle portion of the frontal lobes (cingulate area of the brain). This is the part of the brain that allows you to shift your attention from thing to thing. When this part of the brain is working too hard, people have trouble shifting their attention and end up "stuck" on thoughts or behaviors.

This pattern is often made worse by the usual ADD stimulant medications as the real problem isn't inattention, but over-attention. When you give this type of ADD patient a stimulant medication, they tend to focus more on the thoughts they get stuck on, making the problem worse. This may be the reason that his psychiatrist lowered the dose.

Nutritional intervention can be especially helpful for this type of ADD, as low serotonin levels are often associated with worrying, moodiness, emotional rigidity and irritability. The calming effect of serotonin can often be felt in 30 minutes simply by eating carbohydrate-containing foods, such as pastas, potatoes, bread, pretzels, and popcorn, as well as foods rich in tryptophan, such as chicken, turkey, salmon, beef, peanut butter, eggs, green peas, potatoes and milk. Nutritional supplements can also increase levels of brain serotonin and decrease negative emotional reactiveness.

Penny Rayas, MFT, Therapist
Experience: I have 20 years experience in the mental health field