Dr John B
Dr John B, Psychologist
Experience:  PhD in Clinical Psychology, registered clinical psychologist.

I have suffered depression & been diagnosed with PTSD-I was

I have suffered depression & been diagnosed with PTSD-I was abducted at gunpoint in 1984 at age 21. In 2002 my fiancé was killed in a car crash & then 4 months later, my mother suffered a brain aneurism & I thought I was responsible, for many years. Between 2002-2004 I attempted suicide several times.18 months ago-diagnosed w/ bipolar & take meds & monitored by Psych. During those 18 months I have been the victim of 2 brutal assaults, that have been dismissed by our local police who say I am not credible, citing my “past mental status”. I am credible. I am a licensed private investigator and certified legal assistant & believe I am managing my disorders properly. Questions: Are most people who suffer these types of illnesses faced w/ the same stigma & discrimination as I am & if so, why. Is not being credible a symptom of these illnesses or am I simply dealing w/ people who don't understand them? I don't understand the correlation between these diagnosis & not being credible.

I am very sorry to hear of the situation. You are right, there is no correlation. Unfortunately the general population often has next to know knowledge of mental health problems and it is not uncommon for people to think that any mental health problem means a person is 'crazy'. Neither Depression or PTSD include reduced credibility a symptom. Is it possible they are speaking in a legal sense? That is, they are talking bout what will happen in court as opposed to clinically or scientifically?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Absolutely. You confirmed what I have found thus far, in the beginning stages of my research, in an effort to understand everything in connection with my disorders. I suppose, at this point, I simply needed confirmation it's unlikely that I am delusional, believing that I'm Not delusional & just making things up. I believe that there needs to be more education, on these mental illnesses, given to those in a position of power who draw their conclusions and make decisions bases on misinformation. Their decisions often impact a life negatively, therefore, I believe, causing the conditions to worsen. That's been my experience. Medications work to a certain extent but they don't take away the negative effects completely. Just my opinion. Thank you for your time.

You are more than welcome. If you have received a formal Psychiatric assessment & diagnosis of Depression & PTSD then there would be no reason to suspect psychotic symptoms unless there had been a change in your psychological status. A new assessment would quickly be able to confirm whether there was an emergence of psychotic symptoms.

There certainly does need to be far more education!

I hope this has been of some help. Please let me know if you have further questions or would like me to clarify any part of my answer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I feel better, again. I am under the care of my Psychiatrist & he monitors me & my medications on a monthly basis & adjusts them accordingly, with success for far, for PTSD, Bipolar & Depression. These past 18 months have been tough with 1 crisis after another. My advise to anyone suffering these disorders is to get with a physician who can properly diagnose them, follow doctor's orders to the letter & don't give up. I was only properly diagnosed and medicated by my current doctor 18 months ago and it has made a world of difference in my ability to deal with what life throws at me on a regular basis. Without him & the meds, I would probably handled these crisis as I did years ago with multiple suicide attempts. It's difficult to live through those attempts and see what it does to those who love and care about you. Speaking from experience. Thanks for your help.
You are very welcome. If you have found my answer helpful please select the ACCEPT button (it's the only way I get paid!)