Doctor Kevin
Doctor Kevin, Ph.D.
Experience:  25 years in private practice
16903060

how to treat a sociopath

Customer Question

how to treat a sociopath
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Doctor Kevin replied 3 years ago.
I assume this person you are treating is a child and not a spouse.

Sociopaths are people with no self-conscience. Sociopath characteristics go unnoticed for a long time, until a drastic episode. Here are a few sociopath characteristics for your help.

A sociopath is defined as a person with, "pervasive pattern of disregard for, and violation of, the rights of others that begins in childhood or early adolescence and continues into adulthood". Sociopath characteristics begin at an early age. However, they go unnoticed for a long time, under the assumption that the child will grow up and learn a lesson. Sometimes sociopaths are also referred as psychopaths. The terms used to describe are not synonymous, but the behavior projected in both cases is more or less the same. Here is a list of sociopaths characteristics. A sociopath has a brain. Sadly, a sociopath never uses the brain for his/her use. They believe that much can be achieved by conning and manipulating others. Hence, with a thought like that, sociopath wastes time in convincing others about heir malicious ideas. They do so by putting on their charm. A sociopath victimizes the other person as an object to be used for implementing cruel intentions.
A lack of feelings is the main, yet hidden sociopath characteristics. A sociopath has no scope for emotions or feelings. They only make a superficial exhibition of their emotions. They do laugh, cry, get angry and depressed momentarily. The underlying reason for this superficiality is, they live in their own world and have their own set of morals. They are often ruled by a belief that their actions bear no consequence whatsoever, and they are not accountable to anyone. Incapacity for feelings and emotions allow a sociopath to elude responsibility for actions by placing the blame on others. Sociopaths have a boundless capacity to lie. It all begins when they lie once to hide a mistake and then continue lying to cover the earlier lies. As mentioned earlier, they are incapacitated to feelings, they do not understand the impact of compulsively lying. If they are caught lying, sociopaths are clever at changing the subject by blaming someone else and crawling clean out of the mess. Often, sociopaths are so clever at lying, that they pass lie detector tests also. Which is why, they rarely end up in prisons. And who thought sociopaths were out of brains! A sociopath does not have emotions is true. But a sociopath has shallow emotions is equally true. Shallow emotions adheres to show of warmth, joy, appreciation and motivation towards others to satisfy the ulterior motives. These sociopath traits make them seem emotionally strong. They remain cold and do not show reactions to what may cause a normal person to react. They make promises to others to get their job done. However, they are fake, and so are their promises.
The logic of thinking twice before you do anything or say anything does not exist with a sociopath. They get so overwhelmed by a certain idea to which they react impulsively. These actions are always driven by a devious acumen, such as cheating, stealing and lying. The excitement of doing the act is so great, that they jump on the opportunity which leads them into shady acts. Amongst characteristics of a sociopath, their parasitic nature is very evident. They act like leeches that cling on to everybody. They do so to find an accomplice to their actions. To get their plans done, they get hold of people closest to them, so that they can conveniently slip out the act when desired and then place the blame on others. Sociopaths have a beautiful charm about themselves, which is good enough to cover up all their devilish acts. They are very amusing, carefree and lively. These are the traits that draws a person to them. They often win the admiration from others and can make the crowd gawk at them. Sociopaths indulge in bragging about themselves like there's no tomorrow. They firmly believe that what they are doing is absolutely right and there's no way they would do anything wrong. They are self-assured about themselves. This leads them to making highly preposterous and unrealistic plans about life, making money, marriage and living. Sociopaths fail to understand why others around them are so against them. Whether it's a murder, robbery, lie or any other criminal act for that matter, a sociopath feels no guilt whatsoever. They can never empathize with others and neither can they feel guilt for blaming others. They have an amoral world of their own. They lie to an extent where room for guilt gets occupied by self made reality. They often believe that the pain inflicted on the other person was deserved by them. Many criminal sociopath often are seen giving such explanations.The psychopath, incapable of empathy, doesn't understand the question. He is convinced that everyone is just like him.

He is convinced that he has the godlike power to transform anyone. He is convinced that he has the godlike power to force anyone to do his bidding.

He is convinced that he has dominion over (and dominates) all things, including human beings. He is convinced that he is successful in all his ventures.

I see that you are currently off-line. I have responded to your request as best as I can. If you have more to add about the situation feel free to do so. If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the accept button. Experts are paid only for each accepted answer they provide.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
her behavior consists of lying, stealing,failure in school, unresponsive to disiplnary actions, close to being expelled from school,not compleating homework and lying about it.u have given me a definition of a sociopathic personality but no ways to treat a person with the behaviors.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no u advertized that u would provide ways to TREAT the disorder. however u gave me only a definition. i would never use your site again or reccomend it to others
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
still no answer to my question HOW TO TREAT A PERSON WHO IS A SOCIOPATHTHIS SITE IS ASHAM!!! NO ANSWER AND YET U HAVE ALREADY USED MY CHARGE CARD!!!!

Lying behaviors are hard to treat but best is the use of positive and negative reinforcement. Lying means that she will be informed that she is no longer trusted and everything she says will be checked out. Negative reinforcement consists of taking away privileges such as cell phones, computers and television. Positive reinforces would be the limited use of these items. This will mean checking up on everything she says and does.

Failure in school, close to being expelled and not completing her homework means that you need to set what your goals are and have her agreement to them. Tutors are helpful but you need to get her homework assignments. One parent I worked with gave each of this child’s teachers self addressed stamped envelops to send the assignments in. She should show you all completed assignments the night before they are do.

Unresponsiveness to disciplinary action is due to the fact that sociopaths do not have feelings and at best imitate their expression by studying others. As a result they do not feel guilt. Care must be taken to find appropriate consequences because true sociopaths never think the rules apply to them. Consistency is the key issue in developing consequences.