Dr John B
Dr John B, Psychologist
Experience:  PhD in Clinical Psychology, registered clinical psychologist.
40845682

My psychiatrist has always written the diagnostic code 300.23

My psychiatrist has always written the diagnostic code 300.23 for my insurance reimbursement paper. However, the last time we met, I was just getting over a bad reaction to Geodon, of which I was diagnosed with neuroleptic malignant syndrome. We talked for a little bit and then on my new slip, he wrote the diagnostic code 295. I called and asked about it, and he said not to worry and we'll talk about it next Tuesday. I'm a little concerned. This was just a mistake, right? It just seems a little odd for him to change it after always having a code of 300.23.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr John B replied 5 years ago.

Was the new code just 295 or 295.xx? The xx meaning some more numerals in the code?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The new code was just 295. There were no other numbers after it.
Expert:  Dr John B replied 5 years ago.

Ok. The 295 group of codes refers to Schizophrenia and other related Psychotic illnesses and 300.23 refers to social phobia.

Am I right in assuming that you were originally being treated for Social Phobia? Did you doctor decide to try Geoden for it's sedative effects? You obviously had a very poor reaction to the Geoden, did your reaction include any new Psychiatric symptoms? Perhaps paranoia?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I am being treated for social anxiety and depression. Geodon was supposed to help with my sleep and anxiety I think. To my knowledge, it did not give me new psychiatric symptoms. It made me more agitated and confused. As for paranoia, I am usually paranoid about other's intentions, even though I know it is irrational. He probably just made a mistake, right?
Expert:  Dr John B replied 5 years ago.

It may have been a mistake. However, it is quite common for diagnosis to change and my first thought was whether you experienced any mild psychotic symptoms (or that your paranoia became more pronounced) in reaction to the Geoden and that he had written a diagnosis of a substance induced psychotic episode. Without knowing the specific code it is hard to interpret his intentions.

It is also entirely possible that he is using a code to satisfy your insurance company! Anti-psychotics may not be covered for the treatment of Social Anxiety and perhaps he has put down one of the Psychotic codes so that the medication is covered.

Diagnostic codes are really for use with funding and he may well have reasons for changing the code. As there are numerous potential reasons for changing a code take his advice and wait to discuss it with him before becoming too concerned by what the change means.

If you have further questions or would like me to expand upon any part of my answer please let me know