TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Not to go into a long story, I was a victim of incest for several

Not to go into a long story, I was a victim of incest for several years starting at my earliest memory of 5yrs old. I am now 43. I have had counseling and have gone through lots of coping methods and feel I am a well ajusted woman. My perpetrator passed away 3 years ago the 15th of November and my mother confronted me with information. Then my sister confirmed information and brought to light more information that I have apparently repressed, including the fact of the moment of intercourse, which I have no memory of. As I deal with this new knowledge of events that happened to me that I don't remember, I am passionate about knowing every sordid thing that was done to me. Could hypnosis help me?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

Hypnosis works by having you enter a trance like state that blocks out all distractions to help you focus on a certain thought, memory or feeling.

Since you are more open to suggestion while under hypnosis, you can alter your perceptions, emotions and behaviors. This can help you look at your memory in a different light and therefore bring up something you may have repressed.

Because you are dealing with a traumatic experience, the need for you to be under a doctors or therapists care while undergoing hypnosis is important. Anyone who has suffered through incest can develop Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Since your mother and sister brought up more traumatic memories that you have repressed, this can trigger symptoms of PTSD. Also, you repressed those memories to protect yourself. Bringing them out through hypnosis can be traumatizing. So take care that you have support and help while you try hypnosis.

Here is a link to help you find a Hypnotist:

You may also want to ask your doctor or therapist for a referral.

I hope this has helped you. Please let me know if you have more questions,

If you found your answer helpful, please click the green ACCEPT button. Even if you placed a deposit, I am not paid unless you accept. Thank you!