TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I have been depressed off and on for the past few months. The sadness usually goes away on its own, but the past few weeks, it has been constant. My mom died three years ago and we moved to Florida in July to be closer to my husband's family. I've been withdrawing from everyone lately and haven't wanted to be bothered. I'm in a bad mood most of the time and I don't like being that way all the time. Can I order samples of anti-depressants to try before I commit to one? Are anti-depressants addictive? Do I need to have a physical or how do I get a prescription if I don't have a doctor?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

You do not necessarily need to take anti depressants. Medication can be a good option, but only if you feel you are so depressed that it is interfering with your ability to function in daily life. Otherwise, therapy and self help has been shown to be the most effective in helping depression.

Medication can come with some bothersome and serious side effects. The benefits of taking the medication needs to offset the side effects. Some of the side effects of anti depressants are headaches, weight gain, insomnia, dry mouth and constipation. Just because a side effect is listed does not mean you will have it. Every medication reacts differently with each person. That is because each person has different body chemistry. So one medication may be very helpful to one person but not help another at all. Therefore, it is common to try at least a few different medications before finding one that works for you.

Here is a link to help you understand anti depressants better and which one might work for you:

Regardless if you decide to take medication or not, therapy can help you overcome depression and find ways to cope. To find a therapist, ask your doctor for a referral. Or you can search on line at

You can also help yourself through learning more about depression and joining support groups on line or going in person. Here are more resources that may help:

I hope this has helped you,

If you found your answer helpful, please click the green ACCEPT button. I am not paid for my work unless you accept. Thank you!