TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Where can I get the best help for my husband . He was sexually

Help for my husband . He was sexually abused . Needs in patient treatment.

ThinkingThe Refuge in Florida what do you think?

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

Before I can answer, I needed more information.

Why do you and your husband feel he needs inpatient treatment as compared to individual therapy on an outpatient basis? Also, has your husband been evaluated by any mental health professionals?

Thank you,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Kate

He has been in many rehabs has had many therapists. he just got out of detox and he is now in a psyh hospital . He has tried suicide several times the abuse has taken him over. His mind is good severly depressed. Many treatments, many rehabs but not right treatment I think.

Thank you for the additional information.

I agree, it sounds like your husband might benefit from inpatient treatment. Getting to the root of his issues, which is most likely the childhood sexual abuse, is the best option. Often, when people are victims of abuse as a child, they grow up not knowing how to process what they went through. So they try to cover the pain and act out dysfunctionally in an attempt to cope. They may also develop issues such as alcoholism, fears and phobias, and depression.This is probably what is happening to your husband.

I took a look at The Refuge in Florida. It seems like a decent program. My only concern is the type of therapies they use. Some of them, such as EMDR, are not yet proven to help people. As it stands, most of the therapies they use are not traditionally used in treatment, but if your husband has tried other therapy and has not been successful, this program may help him.

I am not sure how much your husband's treatment you have been allowed to be involved in, but learning about your husband's issues can help you know how to approach him and his problems. Here are some resources to help:

Adult Children of Abusive Parents by Steven Farmer

Also, support groups on line or in person may also help. You and your family can also try for support for yourselves. Having someone in the family who suffers from mental health issues can make it hard to cope. Support is vital.

You may also want to try contacting your local United Way for other resources available in your community. Your husband may be eligible for assistance or support in other ways.

I hope this has helped you,

If you found your answer helpful, please click the green ACCEPT button. I am not paid unless you accept. Thank you!