TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

is there a relationship between post tramatic stress disorder

is there a relationship between post tramatic stress disorder and hypertenstion.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

There has been several studies done that show that there are links between physical health, including hypertension, and PTSD.

One study done by Duke University in North Carolina in 1991 and published in Cambridge Journal states that those with PTSD had higher incidences of increased frequency of bronchial asthma, hypertension and peptic ulcer.

Another study done through the National Center for PTSD (which focuses on veterans and the PTSD resulting from active duty) states that PTSD is associated with poor physical health. This also includes higher rates of hypertension. The reasons for the increase are not clear, however. It is not known if the stress is the cause, or the behavior that results from PTSD. For example, someone with PTSD may not be as willing to be careful with their diet or such things as smoking as someone without PTSD. Also, PTSD can cause other emotional disabilities such as anxiety which can cause hypertension.

Regardless, there appears to be ways to control hypertension caused by PTSD. If the resulting hypertension is a result of the symptoms of PTSD, then therapy, self help and attention to physical health can make a difference. Changes in diet, smoking habits, stress levels and adequate sleep and support can make a big difference in hypertension levels.

I hope this has helped you,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have vascular issues and is your opinion that it can cause hypertenstion. mind u that I have no family history of hypertenstion.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I also have agent orange related issues and Im curious as to asserbation from other physical disorders on hypertension

I can address the possible affect of PTSD on your hypertension since I am a mental health therapist and PTSD is within my expertise. But medical questions would need to be answered by your doctor. I'm sorry about that.