Mark Manley
Mark Manley, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. Over 15 years exp. Married 30 years and happy.

My wife is over a home for the mentally chalenged. A Dr. put

My wife is over a home for the mentally chalenged. A Dr. put a client on an 1800 calorie diet. My wife cut out his bedtime snack of 250 calories because the coloric intake had been reached or exceeded every day. She was accused of patient abuse over this and is in danger of being fired. Was she right or wrong?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Mark Manley replied 4 years ago.
She was right to do what she could to assist the patient to follow the doctor's orders. Hopefully she will be supported by the administrators of the facility. Ideally there would have been a staffing to discuss the patient's change in diet and how it would be implemented by the staff. It sounds as if this did not happen, which if it didn't is too bad.

Sometimes office politics drives these kinds of over reactions which is truly too bad, this may be part of the situation as well.

I wish you both best of success.

Mark Manley