Mark Manley
Mark Manley, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. Over 15 years exp. Married 30 years and happy.

My grandson age 13 is exceptionally smart, up to last year

Customer Question

My grandson age 13 is exceptionally smart, up to last year an A/B student, now he only wants to read and play video games. Grades in school D/F - Test marks A's homework not done or done and not turned in. His parents have grounded him for months, they work with him everyday to do his homework and he just isn't doing it.

He's says he's bored in school - no challenge. How do you motivate a child to achieve better grades, he want's to go to college (MIT) but I keep telling him he has to have good grades and he tells me he knows that but then F's What should we do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Mark Manley replied 2 years ago.
Is your grandson in middle school or high school?

Thanks in advance for the additional information.

Sincerely,
Mark Manley
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Middle School - He is in advance placement classes for math and the school is an IB school.
He is so smart, he knows, no college in the world is going to look at his middle school grades. So why do the busy work. The rest of the explanation is in your first line "age 13", that just about says it all! Our youngest is age 13. He is our fifth but the older I get the more strange theses aliens appear to me. Kudos to the parents for staying on him and to you for your concern. I assure you as he gets older he will begin to resemble something to which you won't mind being related to. Until then, God help us!

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

Sincerely,
Mark Manley

Mark Manley, Therapist
Experience: Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. Over 15 years exp. Married 30 years and happy.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the answer to my grandson question - You gave me a great big LOL

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

We all need that!! take care,

Glad to be of service!