Dr John B
Dr John B, Psychologist
Experience:  PhD in Clinical Psychology, registered clinical psychologist.

Might hypnotherapy help me with depression and "getting over

Might hypnotherapy help me with depression and "getting over the hump"? Reached a plateau in therapy a few years ago and feel as if there's still something - maybe a few somethings - to be resolved (had a dysfunctional childhood, with physical and emotional abuse and very little nurturing - virtually no guidance or direction; was sexually molested at age 12 or 13 by my church pastor).

I recently took a buyout from my job after 20 years and ended a romantic relationship, due partly, I think, to "come here-go away" syndrome.

So it's a dark, depressive time, with much uncertainty as to employment and career - though I maintain hope of recovery and fulfillment (am back in counseling). Will be grateful for any guidance you can provide. Thanks!

Before I comment on th potential for hypnotherapy as a treatment approach can you tell me what kind of therapy are you currently receiving every few weeks?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Basic therapy for what I've described (plus a sex addiction; longtime bugaboo). But the sessions are so far apart and they go so fast! Just wondering if hypnotherapy could release or bring to the surface what's buried so deep within me.

Ok, thanks.

Hypnotherapy can be used in a number of ways clinically. A hypnotic trance is basically a state of intense relaxed concentration (very similar to meditation) and in this state it can be easier for a therapist (or a patient) to access information such as memories. This is a common portrayal of hypnosis as a method of uncovering 'hidden or suppressed' memories within the media and while this portrayal is often an exaggeration there is certainly evidence that people can access information better when they are relaxed and focused. So, yes it is possible that you may be able to access thoughts, emotions or memories more easily with the help of a hypnotherapist.

Hypnosis is also often used as an adjunct to other forms of therapy (which is why I inquired about the existing therapy you are receiving). For example, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) can be performed while a person is in a hypnotic trance. Again, there is evidence that it can be easier to access the internal information targeted in CBT when under trance. So, hypnosis can be used to 'beef up' other forms of psychotherapy so to speak.

Hypnosis is also used a method of facilitating the adoption of new information. A dramatic and non-clinical example of this would be some of he hypnosis shows you see on TV. Again, while these are usually involve a dose of artistic license there is certainly evidence that people can adopt new information more easily when hypnotized. A more clinical example of this would be the use of hypnotic suggestion to facilitate quitting smoking.

So, while hypnosis has a certain image in the media it does have a definite and serious role within Clinical Psychology & Psychiatry. It is entirely possible that you may benefit from consulting with trained hypnotherapist. My one cautionary suggestion is that if you were to consult with a hypnotherapist that they also be a qualified Psychologist or Psychiatrist.

I hope this has been of some help. Please let me know if you have further questions or would like me to clarify any part of my answer.