TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

My 31 year old son James was diagnoses with bipolar disorder

My 31 year old son James was diagnoses with bipolar disorder about a year ago. He has been on many different combinations of drugs and currently is homeless and is in and out of the hospitals every week. He seems to be getting worst. I don't know what to do and want to help him. Do you have any suggestions?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It is very common when someone is diagnosed with a disorder such as Bipolar that they have difficulty managing their daily life. Part of the issue is finding the right medication that works. Medication effectiveness depends very much on the person's body chemistry. So for example, XYZ medication may work great for one person and do nothing or even cause an adverse reaction in another. So when trying to find medication to help Bipolar symptoms, it can take time to find the right one them adjust it so the person responds to the medication with reduced symptoms.

The other issue can be once the person finds a medication that works, they begin to feel better and decide that they are cured. They then stop taking the medication and the symptoms return.

Also, a person with Bipolar may lack the insight to see that they are in need of treatment. You probably have heard that a person has to see they have a problem and want treatment before they can get help. If your son feels he does not need treatment or feels he does not need to continue his treatment once he is out of the hospital, he will keep going through the hospital/homeless cycle.

To help, you can contact your local community mental health center. If you can get your son to go for an evaluation, they can not only offer him therapy and medications, but they can assign a case manager to him who can help him with services such as housing, financial assistance and help getting to his appointments. If he can reside in a supportive housing arrangement, he can have counselors on hand to help him stabilize and regain his functioning.

To find your local community mental health center, contact your local United Way. They will be able to not only tell you about the mental health center, but any other resources in your area.

You can also learn about Bipolar on your own. This will help you better understand your son and be able to support him. Here are resources to get you started:

Also, find support for yourself and your family. Having a family member with a mental illness can cause stress and other issues. Joining a support group or finding support through therapy can go a long way in helping you cope. Try this site for help:

I hope this has helped you,

If you find your answer helpful, please click the green ACCEPT button. Even if you made a deposit, I am not paid for my work unless you accept. Thank you!