Mark Manley
Mark Manley, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. Over 15 years exp. Married 30 years and happy.

HI, This might sound weird, actually it really weirds me out, but lately Ive been

This might sound weird, actually it really weirds me out, but lately I've been having this problem. I'm a computer science student. One of the basic constructs in computer science are called while loops. While they are simple, and I had dealt with them thousand of times, recently I ran into one that wos wrong - eithe I wrote it or it was in one of the homeworks I was grading- anyway, it is nothing shocking or exciting. However, ever since, every time I go to sleep, my brain starts making conjectures about my alarm clock being governed by such a while loop, which would cause it to skip the minute at which it is supposed to ring. Thus, I keep waking up at night to check wether it is already past the time I was supposed to wake up. I don't really have an obsession with it while awake, but it has been messing up with my sleep and driving me nuts! Any help please?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Mark Manley replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry to hear your sleep is being disturbed. If you will do the following I think you will find you are sleeping well once again.

Set the alarm to sound two hours from the time you go to sleep. Each time the alarm wakes you set it for another two hours. Continue this until it you feel confident the alarm will sound at the proper time. Set the alarm to wake you at the desired time and if you have any problems with trusting it just repeat the every two hour process until you once again gain confidence in the alarm.

Mark Manley