AgapeDoc
AgapeDoc, Psychologist
Experience:  Dr. W. D. Nicholas will help you find solutions to life's challenging issues.

Where can we take my 25 year old grandson to get an assessment

Where can we take my 25 year old grandson to get an assessment and screening for Ausperger's Syndrome and Autism. He was diagnosed with ADD and a Delayed Sleep Disorder yeats ago. He is unable to finish school or hold a job because he has no real concept of time...can't keep appointments or get to class on time. The sleep disorder keeps him awake all night before he needs to be somewhere the next morning, creates so much anxiety that he becomes very aggitated and finally falls asleep before time to get up. He has to make a court appearance for a charge of harrassment by an ex girlfriend. His attorney wants him to be checked for the two above disorders. The Koegle Clinic here is Santa Barbara CA was the preferred one but they turned him away because of the court date. We wanted to take him to The Amen Clinic in Newport Beach but the attorney didn't think they were the best for these two particular conditions. Do you have any suggestions for us?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  AgapeDoc replied 2 years ago.

AgapeDoc :

Thanks for contacting Just Answer

AgapeDoc :

Let me see if I can help you here....

AgapeDoc :

I think those clinics are fine, but if they don't work out....

AgapeDoc :

An medical doctor can diagnose both of those disorders. It can be a doctor in private practice, it doesn't have to be a clinic such as the one you suggested in your post.

AgapeDoc :

I see you have entered the chat. I am very sorry you are in this situation. I can only imagine how trying it must be :(

AgapeDoc :

The Dan Marino clinic is one of the best facilities in the country, but it is in South Florida so I don't think that is an option for you.

AgapeDoc :

If the attorney thinks this is important to get this diagnosis before the trial, I imagine that any MD would suffice to do the evaluation and then give the diagnosis if it is warranted.

Customer:

His attorney has discounted the Amen Clinic for this purpose. He recommended the Koegle Clinic but Koegle wouldn't accept him. I have asked his psychiatrist for referral and he has suggested a local psycologist which is being considered by the attorney. We have been wanted to find the answer to his problems for YEARS, but he has been unwilling to do more 'talking' until now. With this court date, he (grandson) is willing to do whatever necessary that his attorney advises. I'm hoping it is also an opportunity to get him to find a place, get an accurate diagnosis to follow up with treatment.

Customer:

The FLorida clinic sounds like what we are looking for...Is there one here is Soutnern California?

AgapeDoc :

Typically, a person won't be diagnosed with both Aspergers and Autism. Both of these disorders are on the PDD spectrum and it's either one or the other.

AgapeDoc :

I'm afraid that the one I mentioned is only in South Florida :(

Customer:

The attorney wants him checked for one or the other, yes.

AgapeDoc :

I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to get the initial diagnosis from the psychologist as you suggest and once that has been taken care of, you can follow up with more specific diagnosis and treatment?

AgapeDoc :

Aspergers can be very challenging to diagnose - I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be this - it is what some people call a very high functioning autism.

Customer:

Keeping the court date in mind (Jan 12th) I would like to see him get an accurate evaluation before the court date, then pursue treatment ...sounds like you are saying the same thing. After researching it, I think Aspergers is a strong possiblity.

Customer:

Do you have an opinion on psychitrists or psycologists for this evaluation?

AgapeDoc :

And Aspergers can be very problematic - I don't have a real strong preference regarding who can do this evaluation - but if I was forced to pick - I'd pick a psychologist.

AgapeDoc :

I said aspergers can be problematic, but only if it's undiagnosed. If it is aspergers - things should get better once he is diagnosed :)

Customer:

Thank you...WE will see if the attorney okays that for now.

AgapeDoc :

Thank you. I wish you much success - it sure won't be easy, but I feel much better for all as I think about getting a working diagnosis.

Customer:

I may be back for more questions...and more help....

AgapeDoc :

Please don't forget to click on the green accept button so I can get credit for my work. And if I can be of service in the future please don't hesitate :)

AgapeDoc, Psychologist
Experience: Dr. W. D. Nicholas will help you find solutions to life's challenging issues.