Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

I used to suffer from schizophrenia but with pyschriatric help

Customer Question

I used to suffer from schizophrenia but with pyschriatric help have fully recovered. However, I have problems understanding counselling. Is counselling just normal talking like you can do with anyone or is it somehow differant? Does everything that the counsellor says happen? Can they turn other people such as therapists against you?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

Counseling is when a trained professional, usually a person with a Master's degree or Ph.D, uses education and experience to help someone overcome a mental health problem. Just as a doctor goes to school to learn body systems and diseases, a mental health professional goes to school to learn about behavior and diagnosis of human behavior problems. Therapists learn how to address these problems through therapy and medications.

Just as other professionals vary in skill and knowledge, therapists do as well. You may have a good therapist who is skilled in the area of your needs and can help you overcome your issues. Or you may have a therapist who is in the field for the wrong reasons and does not have the skill or experience to help.

Not everything a therapist says is right. Therapists are human and do make mistakes. There is an ethical code by which all therapists must use to minimize damaging mistakes, but for the most part, therapists do the best they can to help.

No one can turn anyone against you that doesn't want to be manipulated. Therapists may understand manipulative behavior more than others, but only a person who is interested in hurting others would use such knowledge. Therapists are bound by an ethical code to not hurt others so using their knowledge to hurt someone else by manipulation can cause a therapist to lose their license. Just as a doctor knows how to physically harm someone, they would not use that knowledge unless they had something wrong with them and go against their own ethical boundaries. It is the same for a therapist.

I hope this helps you,
Kate

If you have had an experience with a therapist that you found questionable, I can answer any follow up questions you may have.

Kate

If you found your answer helpful, please click the green ACCEPT button. I am not paid for my work unless you accept. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I used to be paranoid about counsellors. I feel like they have magic powers and that everything they say happens. Is counselling just talking or do they have some more complex way of controoling the human brain?

I always worry that counsellors can turn other therapists against you just by talking to you,is this true?

I have had good and bad counselling and have had success from seeing a psycharistist.

I feel a bit differant to my natural self,but my mother says that they can't change your personality and that I am the same as I was before.

Hi, I would be very happy to address your new questions. Please accept the original question so we can continue.

Kate

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Kate

I cannot afford to pay for new questions.They said that you could help me more with my original question if I was not satisfied with your answer. If you read everything that I have written and help to clarify things for me than I will rank you highly and accept your answer. So far your answer has not hepled that much.

It might seen like counselors have an insight that goes beyond normal people. But they cannot read minds or control you in any way. They are trained to help guide you to healthy behavior and that is all.

Counselors cannot turn anyone against you. They have no reason to do so. And if that is their goal, they are ill themselves and should be reported for unethical behavior.

Counselors cannot do anything to you that you do not already approve of. They are there to help and to do otherwise goes against ethical behavior.

Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your help. Before I get the free unlimited questions I just wanted to ask you a bit more.

Do councillor's change you through just talking or is there some cognitive trick to their methods which goes beyond just talking?

No counselors use their training to help you change your thinking. But it is under your control. It is not about mind tricks.

Kate