TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I recently started taking prozac for my anxiety/depression/concentration.

I recently started taking prozac for my anxiety/depression/concentration. I feel like I don't want to get out of bed in the morning.. I just want to sleep. I have no motivation to study for school and my legs have this really tense feeling in them. I dont have suicidal thoughts and i'm not really that sad I'm just extremely tired all the time and have fatigue. Am I depressed? I'm not sure if I need the medication..
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 4 years ago.

It does sound like you have may the symptoms of depression and anxiety. Having low or no motivation and just wanting to sleep can be symptoms of depression. They can also be symptoms of too much stress and the need to slow down or take a break. Being tired can also be a sign of depression or exhaustion. Feeling tense in your legs may also be a sign of anxiety. When you have anxiety, physical sensations that have no logical origin (like you didn't just go jogging for the first time the day before) are usually anxiety.

To be sure that your symptoms are not physical in origin, have your doctor do a full workup. You don't want to be treating a mental health cause when you have a physical cause for your symptoms. And the two do mimic each other frequently, so it does not hurt to be sure.

If you just started Prozac, then you may want to give it more time to work. Prozac takes about 4 to 5 weeks to begin to work. And depending on your body chemistry, Prozac may or may not be the right medication to use. Most people who start medication try a few different ones before they find one that works for them. It is a trial and error process. So if you do not find you are feeling better within two months, see your doctor again.

But if you are feeling that medication is not for you and you are able to function in your daily life, therapy may be a much better choice. While medications are good if you have a biological cause for your diagnosis (Major Depression, Schizophrenia or Bipolar for example) or you are unable to function in your daily life (too depressed to get out of bed at all), in most cases medication can help you function but it does not cure the original problem. Therapy, on the other hand, can help you get to the root of the issue and help you learn better ways to cope, change your thought process so you feel better, and provide support until you recover. To find a therapist, ask your doctor for a referral. Or you can search on line at

You can also learn more about depression and anxiety. The more you know, they more options you have to help yourself. Here are some resources to help:

Let me know if you have any more questions,