Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

Hi. My ex-husband verbally abuses our son. He calls him names

Hi. My ex-husband verbally abuses our son. He calls him names and focuses on his mistakes. Very rarely does he praise our son. This leaves my son feeling bad and scared of his dad. Is there anything I can do or advise my son to do in order to deal with his dad negativity? I've told my son to call me when his dad starts yelling at him. He says he is scared to call me because he doesn't want to make his dad angrier. Help!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Bill replied 3 years ago.

Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Bill :

I am sorry to hear about this.

Bill :

The effects of verbal abuse on your son are as great as physical and in these situations, I would strongly suggest that you do what is necessary to protect your son from this verbal abuse.

Bill :

This means, if necessary, reporting this to child protective services so that your ex is on notice that he is to refrain from this type of behavior.,

Customer:

Ok, I have told my ex that if he continues to treat our son this way, I will not allow him to visit.

Customer:

He then tries to bully me and says that I should not "threaten" him.

Bill :

Under law, you have an obligation to protect your child first. You are the adult.

Customer:

I understand.

Customer:

My mom has urged me to use the legal system

Bill :

You should talk to your local Child Protective Services for advice.

Customer:

Ok. I will do that.

Bill :

Doe you need help with contact informaton?

Bill :

If you give me your zip code I will link you to the proper agency

Customer:

Ok, thank you. I was hoping I wouldn't have to take it this far, but I don't see any other option.

Customer:

My zip code is 21054

Customer:

My ex doesn't think he is being abusive...he believes his abuse is "discipline"

Bill :

Okay. Hold just a second. Sounds like your ex is a Narcissistic Type:

Customer:

yes, VERY

Customer:

I've done reading on this disorder in the past...he fits the profile.

Customer:

Just last night he yelled at me and declared that our son "doesn't care about school" (not true) and that if our son doesn't care, he won't care. This was after he spent the weekend helping our son with his science project.

Bill :

Family and Children's Services
45 Old Solomon’s Island Road, Suite 204
Annapolis, MD 21401
410-571-8341
Baltimore:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Customer:

My son laughed at his dad when he said he didn't care about school.

Customer:

this really made my ex upset

Customer:

thank you for the info

Bill :

I have dealt with Narcissist's for 30 years. He is an Abuser and it will only get worse.

Customer:

Yeah, there will be times when he "behaves"

Customer:

and that makes my son happy

Bill :

Intervene with Children and Family services.

Customer:

ok, I will call them this morning

Bill :

Great. I wish you the best

Customer:

and then my ex starts up again and blind-sides my son

Customer:

thanks so much for listening

Customer:

and for your help and advice

Bill :

You are welceomPLEASE CLICK GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON SO THAT I RECEIVE CREDIT FOR MY TIME
I ALSO APPRECIATE POSITIVE FEEDBACK

Thank-you and Have the Best possible Day!

Bill :

welcome.

Bill :

Always feel free to contact me here at just answer

Bill :

you will have a copy of this chat in email.

Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience: 35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's