Dr John B
Dr John B, Psychologist
Experience:  PhD in Clinical Psychology, registered clinical psychologist.
40845682

HELLO.I HAVE A FRIEND WHO SAYS SHE HAS CHRONIC SUICIDAL IDEATION.

Customer Question

HELLO.I HAVE A FRIEND WHO SAYS SHE HAS CHRONIC SUICIDAL IDEATION. SHE WILL NOT ACT ON IT BUT IS AFRAID TO TELL THE MENTAL HEALTH PROFESSIONAL FOR FEAR OF BEING ADMITTED. CAN SHE TELL HER DOCTOR THAT HER CHRONIC ILLNESS MAKES HER FEEL THIS WAY? IS THERE A DX FOR SOMEONE WHO IS CHRONICALLY SUICIDAL?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr John B replied 5 years ago.

Your friend should definitely discuss this with her doctor as suicidal ideation can be a symptom that resolves with proper treatment. I understand her concern about involuntary treatment but she should be aware that having suicidal thoughts does not necessarily men a person is in imminent danger (the reason involuntary admissions are used). A suicide risk assessment normal includes an assessment of not only the presence of suicidal ideation but also the intention to act (making plans) and the capacity to act (so having a means readily available). Normally if a person states clearly that they have no intention of acting upon th e thoughts then the risk is not assessed as requiring immediate intervention (although her risk would still be considered to be elevated). Chronic suicidality isn't a diagnosis in its own right but it can be common to Depression and also Borderline Personality Disorder. Also, suicide is not always seen as a mental health issue anyway - in some cultures suicide is an accepted act. It is not uncommon for people with serious and chronic physical illnesses to experience frequent suicidal ideation and if your friend is managing a serious illness she really deserves to be supported by a professional who specializes in assisting people in her situation. Does she currently see anyone for support?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes...a social worker who is assigned to her. if she tells him she has these"ideas"but does not plan to act on them she does not have to fear being admitted involuntarily? she would not feel comfortable telling him as she does not like her therapist much.
Expert:  Dr John B replied 5 years ago.
He will have to perform his own risk assessment and make his own decision but I can tell you that the presence of suicidal ideation does not necessarily mean a person is in imminent danger (and hence require hospitalization).

She can ask him about his mandatory reporting obligations before she divulges the suicidal ideation. He should be able to clearly explain the circumstances under which he would be obliged to inform mental health services.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

THANKS FOR THAT.....IT MAKES ALOT OF SENSE. DOES THE SAME THING GO FOR HITTING(IE SHE HITS HERSELF AT TIMES WHEN SHE FEELS ANGRY)....DO THEY HAVE TO REPORT THIS?

Expert:  Dr John B replied 5 years ago.
Mandatory reporting varies from country but it usually relates to mandated reporting of significant risk to safety (a patient's or by a patient. I can't speak for any specific area but as a general statement self hitting isn't usually a mandatory reporting matter. Again, your friend should ask the social worker about all of this prior to divulging any information.
Expert:  Dr John B replied 5 years ago.

Was my answer helpful? If so, please select Accept! If not, let me know and I will opt out and open the question up to the other experts to answer.