TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Kate; Failure! Thats what I am. I was not able to come

Failure! That's what I am. I was not able to come right out and tell her my story. I have in the past told her parts of it so that she does know what I'm dealing with but I really wanted to retell it so that I could help myself.

I have so much trouble talking about the assault and especially starting up.She gave me plenty of opportunity to begin but I just couldn't. I know pathetic.But it's so hard:(

When my session was over, I told her that I wanted to talk about the attack but wasn't able. I asked her if maybe she could get me started next time by asking me about it. She told me that since I am such a good writer that I should write it down and then can choose to either read it to her or not but that at least I will have gotten it out in some form.

I just feel like such a loser for not being able to speak about it. Plus I really do feel I should be able to do so without emotions coming into play.

Do you think there was anything I didn't do that I should have?

Thanks and sorry to disappoint.

You are never a disappointment! Nor are you a failure. If you think that, then all things you try make you worthless. Which is far from the truth.

You tried. That is wonderful progress. As with anything worthwhile, trying is the key. The point here is that you made the effort. You did tell your therapist about your desire to talk about the assault. And I believe she is right. There are many people who write out their thoughts and feelings better than they say them. There is nothing wrong with that. It is all about what works best for you. You are trying to communicate and however you are best at doing that is the way you should do it.

You are not going to be able to talk about something as horrible as an assault without feeling anything about it. That is unreasonable and nearly impossible. If you were that out of touch with your feelings about the assault, then you would need therapy to help you through it. The best thing you can do is feel those feelings. That is what helps you heal.