TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

Hi Kate: I have an appointment with my therapist this afternoon.

Hi Kate:

I have an appointment with my therapist this afternoon. Last week we talked about a possible treatment to help me get past the assaults I endured. She told me that sometimes people with PTSD talk about the event over and over again until they become sick of it and it becomes more tolerable for them when they do think about it. This can be done in therapy with my therapist, in my journal, outloud to myself when I'm at home, with you (yes? no?), etc.

So today I would like to do that with her. But my fear is that I will become all emotional (cry) and this really embarrasses me. However, I do want to get better. As a therapist yourself, do have see a lot of this type of emotion? Is it normal? At this point, I can't help but to cry when I think of what my attacker did to me both physically and mentally.

Thanks as always,

Kathy

Hi Kathy,

Yes, as a therapist seeing someone become very upset is normal. You are talking about something horribly painful. Crying, becoming angry, and other strong emotions is expected. Therapists know that is the nature of what they do and understand when a person feels upset. Most therapists are empathetic and understand. When I have had someone cry or get upset, I feel sorrow and empathy. Your therapist probably feels the same. She most likely sees many people cry and besides feeling empathic, she doesn't think anything of it.

Kate

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Kate,

Thank you. I feel a bit better about the situation but still very nervous to have to speak about it. But I really want to get better so I will sometimes have to push myself.

That is ok. Voicing your feelings often means confronting them. It makes it more real to you. And it also makes it more real telling someone else. You are right, you will get better by giving a voice to your feelings. Sharing what you feel takes a burden off, even if you think you feel better keeping it to yourself. It is the fear that prevents you from getting better so confronting the fear is a very good step in your recovery.

Kate