Dr John B
Dr John B, Psychologist
Experience:  PhD in Clinical Psychology, registered clinical psychologist.
40845682

in scotland is BPD classed as a mental health illness?

in scotland is BPD classed as a mental health illness? What form of drug therapy is the best for treatment of BPD?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr John B replied 5 years ago.

Are you referring to Borderline Personality Disorder or Bipolar Disorder? 'BPD' is often used for both of these illnesses.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Borderline Personality Disorder
Expert:  Dr John B replied 5 years ago.
Ok, BPD is classified as a mental illness (as a personality Disorder) and is recognized as such by the NHS. Unfortunately there have been no medications shown to be particularly effective in treating BPD, however antidepressants and some anxiolytics are sometimes used to treat symptoms of depressed mood and agitation common to BPD. It is important to note that these medication don't treat the BPD as such, they only reduce symptoms (often not very effectively). The main treatment approach for BPD is Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) a specific form of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) designed specifically for BPD. If you wanted information on DBT or had further questions on BPD in general I would be more then happy to discuss this area further?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No thank you you have answered my question

Expert:  Dr John B replied 5 years ago.
Ok, well I hope my answer was of some help. Best of luck!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry have just thought of another question - is recovery posible?
Expert:  Dr John B replied 5 years ago.

Absolutely. DBT is actually quite effective and people generally find that they can make real progress in managing their own emotions and behavior. Most importantly, people find they start to feel a lot better!

If you wanted to learn more about DBT you could take a look at something like this http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Let-Your-Emotions-Life/dp/1572243090/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1320524893&sr=1-3

Let me know if you have further questions!