How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Olsen Your Own Question
Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen , Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2336
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Olsen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My grandson will be 18 in 20 days. He wont talk to anyone,

Resolved Question:

My grandson will be 18 in 20 days. He won't talk to anyone, and hasn't for aver a year. He's getting into trouble with the law. His mother and dad are divorced. His dad is a recovering meth addict with a felon. His dad can't get a job, because of it. His mom has remarried and has a three year old son. My grandson also has an older sister that is going to college works, and bought a home. I know he is lost, but no one can get through to him. I live in Michigan, and they all live in Nevada. Can you give me any advice? Thank You!! VG
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for writing in JustAnswer.
I'm sorry to hear about your grandson's situation.
Let me ask you a few questions first.
When did his behavior start?
Does he have any medical condition?
Is he currently working with a psychologist?
Please let me know by clicking on “Reply” and I will then craft my response.
Please also allow one hour for me to get back to you.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
His problems started about seven years ago. That was when my son and daughter in law were doing drugs, fighting, and then divorced. He was seeing someone, I don't think he is at this time. No he doesn't have a medical condition. He was on medication for ADD.
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your reply.
I am so sorry to hear about your grandson's situation.

It sounds like your 18 year-old grandson exhibits symptoms of depression and behavior problems (trouble with law).
His depression and behavior problems may have a lot to do with his parents' problems and divorce seven years ago.
Indeed, he may have been exposed to his parents' drug use and domestic violence when he was about 11 year old.

There is a possibility that his depression may have worsen over time as he has had trouble with law.
He seems to shut down and keeps his big feelings inside as he doesn't talk to anyone.
That's a red flag for his mental health and future trouble.
He needs someone like a psychotherapist, a life coach or a mentor that he can trust and open up his big feelings and get guidance/support from.

I would advise him to see a psychotherapist to express and process his feelings and thoughts and get advice and support WEEKLY. A combination of psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy are considered to be effective to treat Depression.
Cognitive-behvaior therapy (CBT) will work for depression. If he has emotional problems with his parents, family therapy may be an option.

You may ask his doctor for a psychologist/psychotherapist specializing in adolescents that he can work with WEEKLY. Or you may call your insurance company and get a list of providers (psychologists specializing in adolescents and depression) in his area.

Or, you can search a licensed psychologist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to ( and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as Depression, ADD, and Adolescents. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she has the specialty. You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that he wants to work with – Male or female? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you and he can see it as an informational meeting. You and he can ask any question and negotiate psychotherapy fee.

If he has no health insurance or seek a low fee counseling, you may call The United Way toll free # XXXXX (Dial 2-1-1)to find the community mental health centers in his area in which he can get counseling even without health insurance.

Also, he will benefit from attending a support group for teenagers with depression or family problems. You may contact a local hospital, a clinic, a youth organization and/or a church to ask if they have a support groups for teenagers. If you like to find a support group for him, check Mental Health America website section ( - Find a group in your area.

In addition, eating a healthy diet rich in Omega-3s – Cold water fish, walnuts, flaxseeds, salmon, halibut, shrimp and tofu etc. may be helpful to his brain health and affective regulation.

I hope your grandson gets well with all available help and support from a psychologist/psychotherapist or a life coach, or a mentor, family and/or friends.

Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards, XXXXX remember to click the green ACCEPT button. You do not get charged twice; I will continue to answer your question whenever I am back online; my goal is to get you the best answers possible. If I can be of further help with any issue, just put "for Dr. Olsen" in the front of your new question. All the best, XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2336
Experience: PsyD Psychologist
Dr. Olsen and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I can go as far as to say it could have resulted in saving my sons life and our entire family now knows what bipolar is and how to assist and understand my most wonderful son, brother and friend to all who loves him dearly. Thank you very much Corrie Moll Pretoria, South Africa
< Previous | Next >
  • I can go as far as to say it could have resulted in saving my sons life and our entire family now knows what bipolar is and how to assist and understand my most wonderful son, brother and friend to all who loves him dearly. Thank you very much Corrie Moll Pretoria, South Africa
  • I thank-you so much! It really helped to have this information and confirmation. We will watch her carefully and get her in for the examination and US right away if things do not improve. God bless you as well! Claudia Albuquerque, NM
  • Outstanding response time less than 6 minutes. Answered the question professionally and with a great deal of compassion. Kevin Beaverton, OR
  • Suggested diagnosis was what I hoped and will take this info to my doctor's appointment next week.
    I feel better already! Thank you.
    Elanor Tracy, CA
  • Thank you to the Physician who answered my question today. The answer was far more informative than what I got from the Physicians I saw in person for my problem. Julie Lockesburg, AR
  • You have been more help than you know. I seriously don't know what my sisters situation would be today if you had not gone above and beyond just answering my questions. John and Stefanie Tucson, AZ
  • I have been dealing with an extremely serious health crisis for over three years, and one your physicians asked me more questions, gave me more answers and encouragement than a dozen different doctors who have been treating me!! Janet V Phoenix, AZ

Meet The Experts:

  • Dr. Keane

    Dr. Keane


    Satisfied Customers:

    Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
< Last | Next >
  • Dr. Keane's Avatar

    Dr. Keane


    Satisfied Customers:

    Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
  • Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC's Avatar

    Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
  • Dr. Olsen's Avatar

    Dr. Olsen


    Satisfied Customers:

    PsyD Psychologist
  • Norman M.'s Avatar

    Norman M.

    Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA

    Satisfied Customers:

    ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.
  • Dr. Michael's Avatar

    Dr. Michael


    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed Ph.D. Clinical Health Psychology with 30 years of experience in private practive and as a clinical psychology university professor.
  • Rafael M.T.Therapist's Avatar

    Rafael M.T.Therapist


    Satisfied Customers:

    MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
  • Steven Olsen's Avatar

    Steven Olsen


    Satisfied Customers:

    More than twenty years of expertise in counseling, psychological diagnosis and education

Related Mental Health Questions