Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
46062601

My grandson will be 18 in 20 days. He wont talk to anyone,

My grandson will be 18 in 20 days. He won't talk to anyone, and hasn't for aver a year. He's getting into trouble with the law. His mother and dad are divorced. His dad is a recovering meth addict with a felon. His dad can't get a job, because of it. His mom has remarried and has a three year old son. My grandson also has an older sister that is going to college works, and bought a home. I know he is lost, but no one can get through to him. I live in Michigan, and they all live in Nevada. Can you give me any advice? Thank You!! VG
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for writing in JustAnswer.
I'm sorry to hear about your grandson's situation.
Let me ask you a few questions first.
When did his behavior start?
Does he have any medical condition?
Is he currently working with a psychologist?
Please let me know by clicking on “Reply” and I will then craft my response.
Please also allow one hour for me to get back to you.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
His problems started about seven years ago. That was when my son and daughter in law were doing drugs, fighting, and then divorced. He was seeing someone, I don't think he is at this time. No he doesn't have a medical condition. He was on medication for ADD.
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your reply.
I am so sorry to hear about your grandson's situation.

It sounds like your 18 year-old grandson exhibits symptoms of depression and behavior problems (trouble with law).
His depression and behavior problems may have a lot to do with his parents' problems and divorce seven years ago.
Indeed, he may have been exposed to his parents' drug use and domestic violence when he was about 11 year old.

There is a possibility that his depression may have worsen over time as he has had trouble with law.
He seems to shut down and keeps his big feelings inside as he doesn't talk to anyone.
That's a red flag for his mental health and future trouble.
He needs someone like a psychotherapist, a life coach or a mentor that he can trust and open up his big feelings and get guidance/support from.

I would advise him to see a psychotherapist to express and process his feelings and thoughts and get advice and support WEEKLY. A combination of psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy are considered to be effective to treat Depression.
Cognitive-behvaior therapy (CBT) will work for depression. If he has emotional problems with his parents, family therapy may be an option.

You may ask his doctor for a psychologist/psychotherapist specializing in adolescents that he can work with WEEKLY. Or you may call your insurance company and get a list of providers (psychologists specializing in adolescents and depression) in his area.

Or, you can search a licensed psychologist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to (http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/ppc/prof_search.php?iorb=4764) and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as Depression, ADD, and Adolescents. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she has the specialty. You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that he wants to work with – Male or female? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you and he can see it as an informational meeting. You and he can ask any question and negotiate psychotherapy fee.

If he has no health insurance or seek a low fee counseling, you may call The United Way toll free # XXXXX (Dial 2-1-1)to find the community mental health centers in his area in which he can get counseling even without health insurance.

Also, he will benefit from attending a support group for teenagers with depression or family problems. You may contact a local hospital, a clinic, a youth organization and/or a church to ask if they have a support groups for teenagers. If you like to find a support group for him, check Mental Health America website section (http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/go/find_support_group) - Find a group in your area.

In addition, eating a healthy diet rich in Omega-3s – Cold water fish, walnuts, flaxseeds, salmon, halibut, shrimp and tofu etc. may be helpful to his brain health and affective regulation.

I hope your grandson gets well with all available help and support from a psychologist/psychotherapist or a life coach, or a mentor, family and/or friends.

Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards, XXXXX remember to click the green ACCEPT button. You do not get charged twice; I will continue to answer your question whenever I am back online; my goal is to get you the best answers possible. If I can be of further help with any issue, just put "for Dr. Olsen" in the front of your new question. All the best, XXXXX XXXXX