Ask Eleanor
Ask Eleanor, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Marriage & Family Therapist/Prof. Counselor for 20 years
57558633

Im have one hell of a time keeping organized, remembering

I'm have one hell of a time keeping organized, remembering appointments, keeping my mind on what I'm doing or started to do.
I either can't keep my mind on what I'm doing , or I get locked on to whatever, and lose all track of time. Repeatedly it is 1 am & I say to myself "Just one more thing". and next thing I know, it's 5am. I forced myself to go to bed at midnite last night, but I never fell asleep. I've now been awake for 30 hours.

I think I have Attentions Deficit Disorder. Is there anything the VA can do for me? Test, cancelling what ever.

I'm feeling at my wits end and I'm getting very emotional as I trying to write about this.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ask Eleanor replied 5 years ago.

Ask Eleanor :

Hello, I am here for you and am happy to respond. There certainly is effective treatment for ADD/ADHD. I cannot tell you for cetain about treatment at the VA, however, I am sure they treat this disorder. There may be more going on than ADD/ADHD. How long have you been having these symptoms? Other than the last 30 hours, do you usually have problems sleeping?

Customer:

Getting emotional - just the last couple weeks. I've burned a lot of friendships by "Locking on" and not being on time.seems to be getting worse

Customer:

OOps did meand to send that. Wasn't finished.

Ask Eleanor :

Okay, I am here and will wait for you to finish your response.

Customer:

Left 5 friends waiting 25 min to go to dinner last night. They seem to be sticking with me. Not sure why, but very glad they are. I can't keep 'leave them waiting' though. I've got to change. School has always been hard for me. I have a twin brother. He seemed to do okay in school. The school wanted us to repeat the 3rd grade. Actually it was me they wanted to hold back, but mom & dad talked them out of it. I think what is what happened. We did repeat the 4th grade. We went to seven different elementary schools in four different states at least time. When I was 32 the company I was working for asked me to go back to finished up my engineering degree, which I did at age 36.

Customer:

What I'm trying to say is it school was not easy for, but I'm not dumb. I think ADD has been my problem all along. If it isn't ADD what is it that has been making my life so much hell??

Ask Eleanor :

It certainly is likely that you have ADD. Would you take another screening test for my information? If so, I will provide you the link.

Customer:

Yes

Ask Eleanor :

Okay, here is the link: http://psychcentral.com/addquiz.htm Chat back with your score when you have finished.

Ask Eleanor :

Have you finished the test?

Customer:

Yes. I don't feel that I'm Hyper Active. AS I've said before I'm 69. I still ride my bicycle. I've ridden over 600 miles this year, way down from past years. Would that be considered hyper-active. I don't think so. I just can't my mind on what I'm doing or I get locked on.

Ask Eleanor :

Well, you can be ADD, without hyperactivity. ADHD is ADD with hyperactivity. What was your test score?

Customer:

46

Customer:

I get locked on & if it is prefect I not finished.

Ask Eleanor :

I understand. This sounds a bit more like obsessive behavior that is anxiety related. Are you feeling anxious?

Customer:

When I'm working? No I don't think some. More like cool and determined.

Customer:

I ment. No I don't think so.

Ask Eleanor :

So what keeps you awake?

Customer:

I was talking to my x-girl friend, and she mentioned chocolate at the dinner last night.

Customer:

Other nights, I get locked on to doing something, and next thing I know I've gone from 1am to 5am.

Customer:

I get hyper involved. (Boy I glad this thing has a spell check. I have 4 different spell checks and there are times none of them can figure out what I'm trying to spell.)

Ask Eleanor :

I am noticing that you are having a hard time focusing in our chat. Let's try to stick with one thing. When you couldn't sleep last night it was because you were thinking of chocolate?

Customer:

Sorry. No I had eaten some chocolate. I'm of the belief that chocolate can keep you awake.

Ask Eleanor :

Okay. When did you and your gf break up?

Ask Eleanor :

Just a short reply will be fine.

Ask Eleanor :

Are you there?

Customer:

About 3 years ago. She is super organized & I'm super disorganized. She organizes trips to National Parks for 45 or more people. Has them organized down to who will be making what and when for dinner...ect. I drove her nuts. Plus i was starting get locked on to working on something on my computer and not going to bed.

Customer:

Got it short.

Ask Eleanor :

Thanks. My advice for you is to make an appt with your dr. as soon as possible. Take the results of your ADD, test as your score does indicate mild ADHD. The most effective treatment for ADHD is stimulant medication. Your dr. will most likely prescribe this for you and if it works, then problem solved. If not, then you may need to be referred for neurological testing or to a psychiatrist for evaluation. Any questions?

Customer:

The most effective treatment for ADHD? You think i have ADHD and Not ADD?

Ask Eleanor :

Same treatment.

Customer:

O

Customer:

Thanks I'll give it a shot.

Ask Eleanor :

Good. It has been my pleasure to chat with you and answer your question. Please remember to click on the green accept button so that I will receive credit for my professional time and response. I wish you healing, take care, Eleanor