Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist

My husbands father passed away about 6 weeks ago. Since that

My husband's father passed away about 6 weeks ago. Since that time my husband has been experiencing a reduced ability to read and recognize familiar words and is often uable to come up with a familiar word in conversation. It started about the time of the funeral and is occuring frequently enough to interfere with his daily activities. He is scheduled to see his doctor within the next ten days, but I would like to know what you think.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for writing in here.
I am so sorry to hear about loss of your father in law and your husband's situation.
It sounds like your husband may have features of depression - specifically, BEREAVEMENT-RELATED DEPRESSION. It's common for people to fall into this depression after loss of their loved one.

Depression affects both mind and body.
Depression can disrupt the nerve impulses that carry a constant stream of orders from the brain to the muscles. When the depressed brain slows down, so do the signals to all parts of body. Depression affects MEMORY, problem-solving ability, language, perception and is accompanied by nervous tension, anxiety, and profound fatigue. It can generate pain and aches. Medical reasons for Depression may include thyroid hormone abnormality, Vitamin B12 Deficiency, Chronic pain, Stroke (Brain injury), Alzheimer’s disease, other medical problems such as kidneys, heart, lung, epilepsy, migraine headaches, brain injury. Malnutrition/brain damage can dull mood further. Excessive alcohol use may aggravate depression and cause Psychosis. Some medication can cause or contribute to depression.

Your husband may need GRIEF COUNSELING.
I also advise your husband to see a psychotherapist to express and process his feelings and thoughts and get advice and support WEEKLY.

You may ask his doctor for a psychologist/psychotherapist that he can work with WEEKLY. Or you may call his insurance company and get a list of providers in your area.

Or, you can search a licensed psychologist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to ( and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as Loss and Grief. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Grief counseling. You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that he wants to work with – Male or female? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you and he can see it as an informational meeting. You and he can ask any question and negotiate psychotherapy fee.

If he has no health insurance or seek a low fee counseling, you may call The United Way toll free # XXXXX (Dial 2-1-1)to find the community mental health centers in your area in which he can get counseling even without health insurance.

In addition, stress reduction and relaxation techniques such as yoga, swimming, biofeedback, acupuncture, meditation and massage therapy may be helpful for him to reduce the severity of depression. Also, eating a healthy diet rich in Omega-3s – Cold water fish, walnuts, flaxseeds, salmon, halibut, shrimp and tofu etc. may be helpful to his brain health and mood regulation.

I hope your husband gets well with all available help and support.

Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards, XXXXX remember to click the green ACCEPT button. You do not get charged twice; I will continue to answer your question whenever I am back online; my