Suzanne, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  LCSW, RN. Mental Health, Relationship & Parenting issues.EMDR, Hypnosis.

My son who is three has shown great learning skills and I am

My son who is three has shown great learning skills and I am looking into how to identify if he is a gifted child, and then what to do for him after that. I was reading that children are tested by a psychologist to find this out, is there a certain kind of pyschologist I need to look for?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Suzanne replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for bringing your question to JustAnswer.

It's great that your son is showing such amazing potential. He may be a bit young for a gifted evaluation, (which usually includes some testing) but any psychologist who specializes in working with children will be able to give you at least an impression. I'm not aware of any IQ tests for children as young as your son. You could also call the local elementary school and ask if they know of a specific psychologist in your area who does evaluations.

Here's an article on how to tell if your child is gifted:

In the meantime, do what you can to keep him stimulated and interested. Limit the amount of television, and instead concentrate on reading to him, giving him the opportunity to explore outdoors (great if he has a science-oriented mind), and lots of chances to socialize. Many gifted children, as they get older, have a hard time learning to get along with others, especially if they are steered into extra-curricular lessons, etc. so giving him the opportunity to learn how to get along with others now will ensure a life that is as successful socially as it is academically. Also, make sure he is given the chance to experiment with musical instruments, like the piano. You want to make sure he has as many options for learning as possible.

Here's a link to an online group of moms with gifted three year olds--you may be able to find some good support and advice there:

Having a gifted child is both a blessing and a challenge--I wish you all the best as you work to nurture his gifts.