MN Psychiatrist
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Experience:  Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.
45841547

Hello, my child took a child behavior checklist for ages 4-18.

Customer Question

Hello, my child took a child behavior checklist for ages 4-18. THe test was not explained to me, but he is 6 years old and scored a 19 in internalizing and a 19 in externalizing. What does this mean?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  MN Psychiatrist replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I am a psychiatrist.

I could best answer this question if I knew what the name of the checklist was. Do you know what it was called?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It does not say on it what it is. it does say, 1991, T.M> Achenbach, U of VErmont

CBCL/4-18 for boys problem scales.

what does internalizing and externalizing mean on there?

It is the Achenback Child Behavioral Checklist, which is often used to help assess how children are functioning emotionally.

Internalizing refers to whether or not the child is dealing with whatever struggles they may have by turning inwards, namely, becoming withdrawn or isolating, or simply worrying, but not acting destructively. Externalizing refers to whether or not the child may be acting out behaviorally because of any struggles they might have, such as by becoming defiant or breaking rules.

Here is a link to an article discussing the checklist in detail:
http://ch.missouri.edu/Education/STUDENTSYLLABUS/Articles/behavioral%20checklist.pdf

Does this make sense?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So what kinds of things can I do for my child to help him? He scored a 19 in externalizing and a 19 in internalizing. They said that was very high and the normal range is 0 to 7. Any ideas?
He needs to be assessed by a child psychiatrist or a child psychiatrist so you can get recommendations that are specific for him and his needs; that is well beyond the scope of an online exchange such as JustAnswer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well, thank you very much. the article helped alot. You have a great day!
I'm glad that I could help out. Take care.