TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Hi Kate; Sorry to bother you again but i had a question.

Hi Kate;

Sorry to bother you again but i had a question. What exactly do you mean when you say "I feel safe" to deal with my emotions regarding all the traumatic events I went through?

At the time of course, I had no time to think. Sure I was very lonely but I was living to survive. Do you mean now that things have slowed down, mentally all these horrible memories have now had a chance to catch up to me. My life has slowed down so that is why they are coming up.

I really wish they would stay buried. There are a ton of emotions with that part of my life. Very upsetting emotions. I feel extremely silly getting all upset about them now after close to two years it happening.

Thanks as always,

I think at this point in your life, you are feeling safer because you have support through your therapy. There are people that care about you (including me) and that may help you let down some of your guard and allow those feelings and memories to come out.

You may not want to deal with these feelings, and that is understandable. But you are a healthy person who when through very difficult times. Your natural instinct is to try and get back to feeling ok emotionally. You keep working through memories from the past and your current symptoms. Most of therapy is about dealing with past issues. This is exactly what you should be doing. Many people go to therapy to deal with issues from childhood on to present day. So what you are doing is very healthy.