Brad The Therapist
Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience:  10 years of experience in working with youth and adults

My 13 year-old son has ADHD and ODD. He has tried every stimulant

Customer Question

My 13 year-old son has ADHD and ODD. He has tried every stimulant in the book as well as Straterra, Kapvay, Zoloft and clonidine. He is now on Risperadone. He was prescribed .5 tablets to be taken once or twice per day. We have upped it to three. It still is not helping. He has been on the 1.5 doseage for two weeks now and there really has not been any change. His grades are failing, not from lack of knowledge, but multiple zeroes on homework grades. He can't shut up and argues with his teachers. He pops his knuckles every five minutes, makes annoying sounds with his mouth, taps a pencil on deks or table, etc., etc. Should we up his doseage of risperadone or try another drug?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Brad The Therapist replied 4 years ago.

Brad :

Thank you for your question. Before providing recommendations, I have a few questions regarding your son's diagnosis. When did your son receive his diagnosis? What was happening in his life during this time? You mentioned that he was in behavioral therapy. Is he in therapy currently? After your response, I can give you more information of medications that I have seen in my clinical practice working with children and adolescents.