Dr. Shirley Schaye
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Experience:  PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy
45897396

Have been on cymbalta 30 mg for three days. I am extremely

Customer Question

Have been on cymbalta 30 mg for three days. I am extremely dizzy and think that this drug is not for me. My doctor suggested cutting it in half, which i do not understand as it is a capsule (which makes me wonder about him). Can i stop this drug cold after 3 doses? I would like to return to zoloft, which never gave me side-effects like this, even in the beginning. Any advice? Thanks.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Shirley Schaye replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. Don't stop cold. You need to taper off.

You may want to go to this website cymbaltawithdrawal.com

People have varying symptoms as well as different lengths of time before the withdrawal symptoms from discontinuing cymbalta stopped. Some people have been successful at the tapering-off process.

Two huge tips that seem to work for some people are the following:

1) Getting a low-dose prescription for Prozac, which itself is an SSRI but has a longer half-life than Cymbalta; it also has very minor withdrawal symptoms when stopped completely.

2) Do NOT take Cymbalta "every other day" when weaning off. Cymbalta only has a half life of 12 hours, which means if you skip a day your body basically goes into shock from lack of the drug. Instead, gradually reduce the daily dosage. This can be quite difficult because Cymbalta only comes in 60, 30, and 20 mg time-released capsules. So taking the low dose of Prozac may help.

Please do this in consultation with a Psychiatrist.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
This answer was cut and paste from other websites on the internet that i've already read. i was looking for one tailored to my unique situation of having only been on the drug for 3 days.
X